Ready to talk about Power Ball for a couple of days?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by PoliticalFutbol, Jan 11, 2016.

1. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Jan 11, 2016

Who was the comedic actor (character and real name) that asked with a hopeful smile something like “So you’re telling me there is a chance," and what was the film?

Yes there is a chance at Power Ball. There are 69 ways to choose the first. Now there are 68 left so for each of the 69 first choices there are 68 ways to make the second choice. That brings us to 4692 ways except it doesn't matter what the order is. So (1,2) is as good as (2,1). Since order doesn't matter, divide the 4692 ways in half. There are 67 ways for the third. The no.of ways to get the first three in order is 69, 68, 67, but divide out the 3x2 or 6 ways that order does not matter. ETC, ETC., .... to give 69x68x67x66x65 divided by 5x4x3x2x1. Note there is never going to be a (1,1), (2,2), (3,3). Also, understand why we are dividing out the 120 ways that the order of the first five doesn't matter. So the number of ways the first 5 could come up is 1348621560 divided by the 120 ways that order doesn't matter for 11238513 winning ways.

Now take 26 ways that the red ball could come up and imagine: Suppose you are watching TV and have that one ticket of the 11238513 winning ways! Now for the red ball. That red ball is going to be a 1 or a 2 or a 3 or a 4, etc. all the way up to 26. It is a heart attack waiting to happen.

There are 26 times 11238513 ways altogether = 292201338.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2016

My wife and I were rather amused at the long line for the machine when we were at the grocery store yesterday.

(Though I think it's at or almost at - after taxes and considering lump sum - where you could "technically" buy every possible outcome and come out ahead. Good luck getting that done in time, though...ha!)

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2016

The problem is if you dump all of those millions into it and multiple winners come up by chance, you could lose your shirt instead of just two bucks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    vickilyn likes this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2016

Very true!
    (I think you might lose your socks, too :D )

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2016

Too bad I didn't edit my comment before you quoted it. :(

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

I'm in a pool with colleagues at school. $2 and a dream.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

The sentiment is the same, either way! :roll:

9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 11, 2016

Being honest here. Who would quit teaching after winning the jackpot?? I probably would, but would probably stay in education somehow in some role.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

I wouldn't quit right away. I am easily bored. Also too many winners burn through their winnings quickly and end up in financial distress. I'd want to help my family, maybe buy a vaca house, but I'd still want to be productive.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2016

I actually reflected on this, and realized that as much as I'd love financial security (get a house and everything), I don't think I'd actually want to win. As challenging as life can be sometimes, the challenge is what makes it so meaningful to me.

12. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 11, 2016

I agree with this, which is why I would like to stay in education in some capacity, but probably not as a classroom teacher, but maybe something where I can have more influence and do more positive things. I would get bored too and would want to be productive and have some impact on society.
    Also, if I'm a multi millionnaire and basically as rich as trump, what do I need to be making a teacher's salary for when someone else may need the job more than I? Just a thought.

13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 11, 2016

Ditto! But it's always nice to dream anyways, right?

I would like to win at least enough to pay off my student loans invest a little/buy a house.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 12, 2016

My husband got into a pool with some people. We'd have to split it 4 ways,assuming we were the only winners. I'd quit my job BUT want to do something part time. I don't think I could sit home all day or just go shopping constantly!

15. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jan 12, 2016

not to stray off topic, but what job in education are there where one can have more influence and do more positive things than in the classroom? I am not being facetious either... All the other positions are simply administrative or bureaucratic in nature from what I have seen in my short educational career.

16. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 12, 2016

To be honest, I haven't given this much thought so I'm not sure exactly. However, I just think if I literally won over a billion dollars (after taxes), perhaps there may be a better place for me than in the classroom. I am passionate about teaching, but perhaps I could do something more for the institution of education, especially since I would have many years of experience in the classroom on the "front lines" and the issues that surround public education. I care about the issues more so than many of the politicians out there with their private school education (and am more knowledgeable).
    I also think I would want to financially help out poorer countries in the area of education. Being out of the classroom would give me the time and focus and the finances to be more influential to make changes. In my district, it seems policies and changes are always made without any collaboration or discussion with teachers(top down). Yes, we influence students directly on a daily basis, but we can't make the big changes that affect us as teAchers and the whole institution of education and testing, etc.
    Let someone else who needs the salary to have my job.
    But being unproductive is not an option (although I'm sure anyone could find plenty of stupid and selfish things to do to keep busy for a very long time with a billion dollars).

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2016

It's pretty close to being a teacher, I suppose, but perhaps being a mentor to first year / new teachers. We have a handful of mentors in our district that each mentor a bunch of new teachers, and so they're getting to influence each of those teachers both on a morale basis and a pedagogical basis, but then as an effect, the entire class is impacted from that support. Last year (and even this year to a smaller extent), I've been able to talk about many different students, work on planning units together, solve problems with what I felt wasn't working with certain parts of my teaching, etc... All of this impacted the students quite a bit because it changed how I was teaching.

(Granted that's a small, small subset - as not all districts have this, and even if they do, it's a small number)

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2016

If you win close to a billion dollars, you can borrow from the Gate's play book and start a charitable foundation.