Ready to return to school? 10 states have great numbers. Check out yours.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Jul 31, 2020.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2020

Hi,

Many states and counties are looking at the positivity rate (% of COVID-19 tests testing positive) to see whether to open their schools. Many countries in Europe had less than 2% when they opened up schools. I have said that I feel less than 3% is very safe IMO. Many health officials have said less than 5% is very good. Some feel with masks and social distancing, less than 10% might be okay. Personally, I feel that is a bit risky. There are 10 states less than 3%. These are listed below. Here is the link to see all of the states. Statistics are from July 31, 2020.
    https://www.azfamily.com/news/conti...irus_coverage/interactives/state_comparisons/

States (and DC) less than 3%
    1. Alaska
    2. Connecticut
    3. District of Columbia
    4. Massachusetts
    5. Maine
    6. Michigan
    7. New Hampshire
    8. New Jersey
    9. New York
    10. Vermont

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2020

The number listed for my state is off by almost 3 percentage points, so I wonder how many others are wrong too...not sure where they're getting these numbers from. This lists our rate as 7% and the 7 day moving average is actually 4.2%. It hasn't been anywhere near 7% for quite some time now.

4. readingrules12

Aug 1, 2020

John Hopkins University.
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker/map/percent-positive

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2020

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2020

My state, Kentucky, had been doing well, then the numbers went up. Governor put a mask mandate in place, and we have started going down again.

My district starts Monday. DH’s starts the next Monday. We don’t get kids u til the week of the 26th.

7. readingrules12

Aug 1, 2020

I'm not sure which site is right or wrong. Your article was a good one though.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 2, 2020

The article has my state's percent positive about 3% lower than what is being reported here. My state is near 20% though, so it really doesn't change the level that would put us in.

9. readingrules12

Aug 2, 2020

While I am not sure, my hypothesis is that neither might be wrong, but are reporting different types of data. Often the positivity rate is a result of two types of tests. This includes one for infection with COVID and the antibody test. Some report only the results of infection with their positivity rate. I have seen this when our governor is reporting the statistics on the news. The antibody test often results in a lower percentage. Therefore it is quite possible that John Hopkins is reporting without including the antibody tests, while channel 9 is including them. It is just a theory.

I think either way if you use the same set of data daily, it is easy to see trends. It looks to me whichever set of data you use, your state's positivity rate has been rather flat, while lots of states have been increasing.

ready2learn and a2z like this.
  10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2020

Excellent post. We have a huge issue with data. Not all states report the same ways, test the same groups of people, and count the same way. So, when looking at data across the country we aren't comparing the same things. For example, where I live, you really can't just go get a COVID test because you are concerned.

And then when people want to look at statistics across the world (using what is available easily on the internet), it is even worse. Not all countries test the same way. Some will only test symptomatic people so their numbers will miss all of those with very mild or no symptoms.

readingrules12 likes this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 2, 2020

I’ve noticed several reputable sources list slightly different statistics. I’m not sure why that is. They all claim to be up to date. I follow the Google info that pops up when you search “state name” Covid, and it gives a nice graph, but it’s always different from what our local news reports.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 3, 2020

I know my region in NY is doing well with around 1% average but other areas have a much higher average. I'm not sure if they are going to open schools according to the regions or the whole state at once.