Ready to quit

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lillebe, Sep 17, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

Im working at a charter school in NYC, and my kids are so horrible. They have no respect, and they dont care about learning. I stand up there and teach all day and cant get through a single lesson and the students stare at the wall and it's like im pulling teeth. Im so miserable, and the pay makes it even worse. Im thinking of going in and giving my 2 weeks. I dont know what to do because i feel so foolish if i give up my classroom which i waited so long for. I also feel burnt out of teaching and am starting to hate it after only 3 weeks. I think i ma want to sub in better districts for the year to get my foot in the door and hopefully get a job in a better area. Im not sure its a good idea to give up my health insurance and a steady pay check. Any advice?

3. TMH2004

TMH2004 Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

I think you should try to at least make it to the end of the year and start looking around for a new job. I don't think it would look very good on your resume that you quit after only a month. Even if the next school district was better, they might think you couldn't take teaching KWIM?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 17, 2007

And it will give you time to try different things. Vary your techniques, spice up your lessons, try things you hear about, be more creative.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2007

I agree with sticking it out.

In the NYC job market, you don't want a prospective employer to wonder if you'll quit his school during the year as well. There are simply too many elementary school teachers out there who don't inspire that doubt.

How are the other teachers in your school? Does anyone seem to be having better luck than you? Is there another 2nd grade (or 1st or 3rd) teacher you can talk to? Could you ask the AP to come in and observe and offer some pointers?

Can you mix it up a bit and teach something you know they'll be interested in? My daughter's 2nd grade teacher will be doing a unit on bears and one on whales (my son had the same teacher)-- the kids just LOVE Those units. Can you introduce some sort of a project they'll care about? Can you have "guest readers" come in and visit-- parents or neighbors or the principal or the local fireman??

I know the first year is overwhelming. I think you need to take a deep breath and give this a fresh start.

6. CHI

CHI Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

You sound a lot like I did last year. It was my first year and I was in an inner city school. The children were so direspectful. I would never have imagined acting like they did when I was their age. It really brought me down so much that I was depressed. Please don't give up. I know how you feel. I would come home just about everyday crying. It really takes trial and error. If something doesn't work, try something else. Try and find veteran teachers who can help you. This year will make you a tougher teacher and you will learn ALOT! I am in a different school this year and it has been 100% better. I look forward to going to work! It is so much different than last year. Sorry this is so long but I know exactly how you feel and want you to know that it does get better.

7. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 17, 2007

I have been where you are. This was in the 2005 school year, and sadly, I resigned my position in that February. Hopefully, you have supportive administration. I didn't. That made the problem worse. Good luck to you! I will be thinking of you.

8. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Sep 18, 2007

Remember one thing... they need someone who cares. You may not think you are reaching them, but you might be. I think you should try to deliver a positive message to them everyday. Tell them you care. Tell them you want them to learn. Tell them what they can expect to gain from learning. Tell them they make a difference. And tell them what you need from them. Do you wonder what has made them give up? Give them some hope. Include fun and unique things whenever you can. Grab onto what ever makes them smile or laugh, or makes them sit up and listen for a moment... then expand on that.
    As far as respect goes... model, model, model.
    I sometimes use a line similar to this (and I mean it when I say it) "I care too much about you to allow you to behave this way. " If you say nothing, you will allow them to believe it is okay for them to do that.
    Take lots of deep breaths, calm yourself, and try to keep at it. My heart is with you, too. Good luck.

9. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

It's hard. It's really hard. But you've worked too hard and too long to get where you are to let a few kids get to you. Before you quit, go rent "The Ron Clark Story."

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2007

Unfortunatley, you can only do so much. I'm not saying quit, but I am saying... you need to do what is right for you and your peace of mind.

some jobs are like comabat pay... that is not teaching. Teachers can only do so much.

11. Bzzzz

Bzzzz New Member

Sep 21, 2007

want to quit too!

I too am teaching at an urban charter school. It is very discouraging and I am ready to start looking for another job that is less stressful. I started three weeks ago, lost 15 pounds, have been coughing excessively, and can't shake this horrible feeling inside when I am at work and thinking about work. At the end of the school day I feel relieved but when I get home that horrible feeling comes back because I know that I'll be in the same place tomorrow. I feel like I'm letting a lot of people down because I spent a year getting my license and even got a masters in education. But then I feel like it's not even worth feeling this way.

12. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 21, 2007

I felt terrible leaving my charter school, but I know it wasn't the place for me. Looking back, too many red flags early on. I tried to stick it out, but the admins weren't willing to work with me. I think leaving was the best thing for me.

Search your heart. Do what is right for you. :D

13. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Sep 21, 2007

I feel the same way, too. You are not alone. I have lost 10 pounds and have had almost zero voice the last 2 weeks. I work at a private school in a lower economic area with unsupportive parents. It's MY job to discipline, because "that's what they pay for." Hence, there are about 11 kids who are out of control. I have 35.

I have really wanted to quit until today. I was sitting next to one of my little girls and I saw that someone had their feet on the kneelers. I told him to get his feet off, and realized I was doing the same thing!! I told the kiddos that we all make mistakes and that I'll need to "move my clip down" when we got back to the classroom. My little girl looked at me, patted me on the shoulder and said "It's okay, Mrs. M. My mommmy makes mistakes. I'm her mistake! She had me. She told me so. But it's okay!" My poor baby. And she's one of the sweetest things ever.

I was speechless. And close to tears. She was comforting ME...

I have wanted to quit so bad because of the administration, the lack of respect in the school, the unmotivated attitude and the rude parents as well as the fact that I make 1/2 of what the public school teachers make. But this opened my eyes.

How can I leave these kids who have very few people who really care about what happens to them? What kind of person will they get to replace me?

But you cannot sacrifice your health, mental and physical, for anything. You will be no good to anyone in that shape. You know in your heart what you need to do. Follow that. Just know that there are other people who feel the same way as you!!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2007

Chevygirl, that is a great story. I think sometimes we don't realize the impact that we are making on the students in our room. I agree that your health is the first thing that you should consider. But then you need to consider your students and what kind of effect this will have on them, you leaving and then having someone else come in. They might see it as yet another person giving up on them. But search, pray on it, and He'll lead you in the direction that you need to go.