Ready to Pull my Hair Out!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JamieLeigh, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Nov 17, 2009

This is my first year teaching, and I am having some major behavior problems in my classroom. At first, I thought it was me and my inexperience that was making my students behave this way, but the rest of my class has really shaped up, while about three boys are about to send me to the insane asylum.

One boy is really good until something rubs him the wrong way, and he goes totally berzerk. He runs around the room (sprinting), laughs like a crazy person at the top of his lungs (when he should be in timeout), and goes crazy if I have to restrain him from running around the room. He has kicked the wall or cabinets in anger several times, and has kicked me and other students in these fits of rage. He has been suspended twice and paddled twice (corporal punishment is legal here). His mom doesn't seem to care too much (he acts worse with her). I've tried positive reinforcement (every day), a behavior chart, and many other things. He seems to be worsening.

Another boy is about 2 years old developmentally, but is as sneaky as a ten year old. He wanders the room, opens cabinets and drawers, gets on the computer when he wishes, takes off his shoes or shirt, throws tantrums and hides behind the furniture in my room. I have created a behavior chart for him, and his behavior seems to slowly be improving, but he's often agged on by the other boys. His parents are supportive (seemingly), but merely bribe him if he's good, or spank him if he's bad. He has also been paddled twice.

The third boy is isolated from the table groupings I have in my room. He has a lot of trouble focusing. I've just now gotten him to do any work that we do. This was his main problem, but he has begun taking on the bad behaviors of the other two boys. He threw an all-out fit today. He has never done it before.

I also have another boy with some serious home issues that make him have really bad days only sometimes. Today was one of those times. He threw about three fits. I also have a little girl (his cousin) with an attachment disorder who sometimes cries for no reason- but she wails so loud that the rest of the class can't do anything. I've sent her to the office just to let her calm down and allow the rest of my class to hear me teaching.

I guess I am just venting, but any advice would be appreciated. I have really laid on the praise and rewards thick lately. I know, not the best thing, but I just don' t know what else to do. I'm utterly exhausted...

3. tamikins

tamikins Rookie

Nov 18, 2009

im a first year teacher too and i will first like to praise you that ur still handleing it i know how those crazy days go i had a kid that was the same but he got pulled out of school and i have another one but he has a special teacher that follows works and watches him. I really dont have much experience to give u ideas but if u want to vent out randomly u can always msg me =D rooting for ya

4. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Nov 18, 2009

Thanks Tamikins. The first boy I talked about spent the day in another classroom today per principal's request just to see how it went. They are thinking about moving him to another class. The second boy showed a lot of improvement today. He is just very young and immature so hopefully he will grow out of it. The last boy threw two more fits today. I talked to his mom, who is seemingly supportive, and thinks he needs to see the doctor, but her ex-husband wants none of it (the boy's dad). I didn't mention that the boy eats all of his school supplies, or at least chews them to bits- erasers, pencils, crayons, anything he can get his hands on. He has an obsession with my pencil sharpener and is always talking about things that have nothing to do with what we are talking about. I know with K, kids always want to tell stories, but they are usually somewhat relevant. I am continuing documentation on him and the mom is going to take him to the doctor soon.

5. tamikins

tamikins Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

yea i think the chewing thing is a kid thing i remeber chewing on pencils and barbie feet (cause they were rubbery) when i was a kid =p i think u just gotta keep reminding them not to do it. I have a girl who keeps wanting to coloring on everything and another who loves to cut random stuff i have to keep a sharp eye on both of them when i give them supplies.

and i guess the boy is having tantrums and stuff cause his parents are split. I have a girl thats like that she throws tantrums and stuff cause her parents are divorced and her dad doesnt come see her at home. and in the other class there is a boy who lives with his grandparents cause his parents didnt want him. Our principle told us that all we can do for them is give them lots of love and attention and show that there are people who care for them.

6. tamikins

tamikins Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

and just wanted to add the girl in my class she is improvin at the beginning at the year she wouldnt come sit in the class and cried alot (this isnt her first year in school) and wouldnt listen to me and threw tantrums but now shes behaving slowly now i just have to get her to pay attention to the lessons cause shes very weak i think the previous teacher just left her to herself cause she doesnt know anything in her language or in english (i teach ESL) and almost everyone knows the alphabets and sounds and vocabualary.

7. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

The hardest part is that they always want to throw tantrums or run around the room at the same time, and I only have one pair of hands!

8. tamikins

tamikins Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

maybe deal with them one at a time grab one settle him done and then go for the other one! its hard not having assistants i dont have one and i wish i did cause its hard to split my mind into 18 parts!