Ready to give up before even having a chance.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewSoCalTeacher2017, Aug 15, 2018.

1. NewSoCalTeacher2017

NewSoCalTeacher2017 Rookie

Aug 15, 2018

I can't express how frustrated and disheartened I am right now. I went on over THIRTY interviews (many of which I made it to the final round) this summer and I still don't have a job. I've done everything I can think of to land a job and still nothing. Anytime I was given feedback or an explanation for not getting a job I was told the same line of someone else was a better fit. It's demoralizing! There is a part of me that wants to quit entirely. This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth regarding the field of education. So many districts claim to want the best teachers but seem more concerned about if I'll "fit in" with the staff than if I'll be an effective teacher or not. I'm at a loss right now. I don't know what to do and my credential program doesn't have any suggestions for me either. The people I know in education just tell me to keep trying but it's hard when I'm not given any real feedback on how to make improvements. I honestly don't know what to do here.

3. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Aug 15, 2018

The Southern California market is maddening. Congratulations on getting so many interviews, though! That's unusual. Most applicants don't even get that far. I subbed for four years due partially to my timing in getting my credential. I got it in 2008 and that's when the economy fell apart, so it was hard to even get sub jobs because so many teachers had been laid off. I then spent a few years in a part time support position. At one point that was the advice everyone was giving - just get a support job and that's the way in. Unfortunately I'd go to interviews and see all the other PT support teachers and NONE of us would get the job. It would always seem to go to someone from out of the district or out of the state.

I'm certainly no expert, but I sympathize completely. Some districts offer intervention positions after the school year starts. Keep your eye out for that. At least it's teaching. There's a lot to be said for subbing too. The students and many teachers treat you like crap, but you learn an incredible amount about classroom management.

Good luck!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 15, 2018

Does your credential program have any former administrators you could talk to? Maybe they could take you through a sample interview and give you some feedback.

otterpop likes this.
  5. NewSoCalTeacher2017

NewSoCalTeacher2017 Rookie

Aug 15, 2018

Did it already. They said I'm doing well in them. They have looked at my resume. Looked at my letters of rec. Everything. I'm so frustrated.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 16, 2018

My son worked on his MEd., subbed, and eventually left the state to find his first full time job. Admittedly, he was originally looking for a music job, but he added other certifications, and still no luck. He could sub till the cows came home, but not find a full time job. Fortunately, we were both able to participate in an ESL program that cost us virtually nothing to take those graduate credits for the first 21 credits of the masters program. I picked up the fee for the last 3 courses, and he walked away with his masters with absolutely no debt. Although the new degree got him a ton of interviews, still the tough NJ job market kept him at bay. Based on teacher job ads that we saw elsewhere, applications were sent to VA, and that was all it took. When they asked for an interview, we said go, don't interview online, so he went. That impressed them, and this district is quite large - he had a total of 5 interviews in 3 days, and ended up with his choice of 3 job offers. He loves where he is at, and it is good to see him so happy.

If you are interviewing so well, you might want to change your job market, or else find something that would make you exceptional and pursue that as your "something extra". The truth is that in many states, teaching jobs are not that hard to acquire, but in more elite markets, it can be difficult. CA, NJ, parts of TX, and NY come to mind - I am sure there are others. Some credentials are over-filled for the number of available jobs, especially in these areas - Elem. Ed. certifications are a dime a dozen in most of these areas, making the job hunt that much harder. Many people sub and hone their skills, while others add additional certifications to set them apart from the herd. Others, such my son, go outside of that very tight market to look for greener pastures, where they may be snapped up almost instantly. You have to decide which alternative might give you the edge, and experience, you may need, perhaps allowing you to return to CA at a later time, if desired. Best of luck.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2018

If you can, try a sojourn in Nevada: Clark County (which includes Las Vegas) is perpetually hiring.

otterpop likes this.
  8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2018

Maybe this is a sign to branch out and try something new... new subject, new location, or totally new career. Hubby and I are setting a goal to be out of state withing 1-2 years and I've located 90+ schools in the 2 states we might want to move to that I can apply to. But I'm also thinking about other jobs that I might want to do... work in a vet's clinic, be an admin assistant, teaching online, or even get a retail job at this point (I honestly love cashiering and waitressing).

Keep looking - as frustrating at this is - but keep an open mind and heart to maybe making a change.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 18, 2018

Some schools around here can’t find teachers, especially in math and science.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2018

^
    In my area, I think that schools are getting 300+ applications for elementary jobs. I would see if relocating is an option for you. Even jobs in math/science have 50+ applications (and more in some districts.)

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2018

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 18, 2018

I can tell you that applicant pools in the hundreds is the norm for Elem. Ed. I agree that you need something that is NOT just Elem. Ed. if you want a job in these markets that are drowning in applicants. What it will be will depend on your own coursework and what the state will accept to consider additional credentials. There will be tests to pass, in most cases, but at least you will have a way out of the teeming masses. I highly recommend seeing what might can be done with your existing degree before going in debt to earn more degrees, but so much will depend on where you are, and what you can add on based on your undergrad degree.

In some districts there are actual shortages - no one wants to work there because of the demographics, pay, location, violence, well, you can fill in the blanks. People who are hired in these districts are immediately trying to get a job somewhere else - the "dream job." I wish you all well, but you do need to know that you may need to bring added value to the table, or take your degrees to new locations to find that job that gets you started. I have witnessed the struggle and I encourage applicants to consider changes in location, especially to get started. It isn't what people want to hear, but it is true. I have witnessed the frustration and self doubt - it is demoralizing.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2018

15. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Aug 18, 2018

I HEAR YOU! I'm going into my second year of teaching and I can't even tell you how many interviews I went on before I got my job. It is demoralizing. Have you subbed before? Been a para? I had to para, sub, and long term sub TWICE before getting the job I have now. It only took...hmmm....4 years or so?

Unfortunately, you may have to do another type of job within the district and make a reputation for yourself before getting the job you really want (assuming you haven't done this already).

Leaborb192 likes this.
  16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2018

17. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 19, 2018

Can you move? Our district is has a teacher shortage because it's one of the worst in the state. Most positions are filled by long term subs. All I've been doing since quitting my fulltime job has been long term subbing all the vacancies. Our school year started already but there are still over 100 vacancies in our district.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2018

a2z likes this.
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 19, 2018

Hey, at least you have guaranteed employment, it seems!

otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  20. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 19, 2018

:rolleyes: The district/admin are great to work for (most of them), and I love my coworkers, it's just the kids that are hard to work with! So they pay well, but yeah turnover is high due to the students. And there are tons of private schools nearby because the "well-off" families don't want their kids in this district.

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 20, 2018

To be honest, if I had children I wouldn’t send them to the one of the worst districts in the state. Can you really blame the well-off families for sending their children to the nearby private schools? Literally anything is better.

Leaborb192 and a2z like this.
  22. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 20, 2018

I think you interpreted my comment wrong..
    I wasn't blaming them. I was just explaining.. ?
    I'm not sending my future kids to these schools either.
    So.. ????