Ready to get out.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bella84, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 11, 2013

I'm ready to become a statistic. I'm ready to quit sped.... maybe teaching altogether but definitely sped. My job is making me miserable. I'm not usually a snappy, blunt, and uncaring person. This job is turning me into one, and I don't like it.

I love teaching. I love my kids. I love (some of) my colleagues. I really don't even mind the paperwork.

I hate - HATE - supervising paras. I hate spending my evenings and weekends on paperwork - every single weekend. I hate spending hours planning lessons that I don't even get to teach. I hate sitting in meetings while someone else teaches my classes. I hate the lack of respect I get from colleagues outside of sped. I hate being treated like some second class citizen because I'm not a classroom teacher. I hate being expected to supervise morning/afternoon duty when I have my own students in my own classroom to be with.

To be sure, a regular classroom is no piece of cake, but I have to believe, based on my previous experience and my current observations, that I would see the rewards of my hard work more frequently if I were back in the regular room... and I wouldn't have to go anywhere near a para :)haha: I know that's not true, but one can hope. At least I wouldn't be their "boss".). I'm doubtful that my admin will honor my request, but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway. Fingers crossed.

I just needed a quick vent. Thanks. :|

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2013

I hope that you're able to make that transition back into the reg ed classroom.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 11, 2013

Thanks. :)

5. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Nov 11, 2013

I can sympathize. In co-teaching, I bust my butt. I do way more than some regular ed teachers on top of all of my SPED stuff. It just sucks that I'm not seen as a "real" teacher. My school is quite accepting, but little things, like how all lang arts teachers got money to spend at the book fair but I didn't...those moments make me feel insignificant.

Good luck to you in your future career path :)

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Nov 11, 2013

I can understand not feeling good enough. I also get frustrated when kids just don't seem to progress!

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 11, 2013

I appreciate your sympathy, but I actually do feel good enough at my job. I generally don't like to toot my own horn, but I actually think I do very good work - when it comes to both teaching and the paperwork aspect of my job. I just feel like I'm not appreciated/respected by others outside of sped, and it seems like no one (including admin) bothers to even attempt to understand the pressures that are placed on the sped teachers in my district. And, there are so many constant distractions (i.e. paras, meetings, etc.) that take away from what I'm truly there to do: teach. If I can't do the one thing I went in this field to do, I'm not sure why I'm busting my butt trying to accomplish everything else.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 11, 2013

Thanks. :)

For me, it was being told I couldn't have training on literacy and guided reading (even though I teach guided reading groups) because I'm not a classroom teacher. There were a few other things, but that was a true kick in the face.

9. ca_sped

ca_sped Rookie

Nov 11, 2013

OMG, I totally hear you on the supervising paras. I have a business degree and worked in management before switching careers to be a special ed teacher and nothing can prepare you for working with paras.

I guess I am lucky because I get to teach...my meetings are scheduled for after school hours. I hope you can switch to general ed.

10. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Nov 12, 2013

I totally understand your feelings. Me and my teammate (that teaches RELA) were put in the same classroom this year. Like it's possible to teach RELA and Math in the same classroom at the same time!

We've been able to make it work, but it's very distracting, to say the least. We can't use the projector or play videos/use the smart board without it being very distracting to each other. Not only that, we did not get a document camera or a printer because they were handed out to the gened teachers first and there weren't any left over.

We also get passed over for resources that the gened teachers get. Our math teachers all got study workbooks called Step up to the TEKS that they obviously didn't think I would need even though I teach Math and am expected to have my students pass STAAR.
    They also got a ton of math games that would have been awesome to use with my kids. Did I get any? Nope. They all went to classroom teachers. It's frustrating, to say the least.

And our job is HARD. Being a case manager for 17 kids is overwhelming, and quite frankly a job in and of itself on top of the teaching duties we already have. We have to monitor their progress, make sure the are receiving their accommodations and modifications, provide interventions if they are struggling, modify work and go to staffings and ARDS.

I often feel that so little time is left over for planning for the students I do teach in resource, which is not fair to them one bit.

I also want to switch to gened. I'm going to request a change at the end of the year, and if admin isn't amenable I'm going to interview/transfer to another school in my district.

Best of luck to you with your upcoming change! :hugs:

11. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Nov 12, 2013

Someone told me to get a special ed credential so that I can be job secured in the field of teaching. I have no idea what's involved until I read you post. Oh my!

12. Nate

Nate Companion

Nov 14, 2013

The OP is in an ugly situation that should not be taken as the average SpEd situation. That said, it's a thing of the past that SpEd is a sure way to job security, at least where I'm working...

13. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Nov 15, 2013

WOW! We need to be friends. I could have written this today. Actually, I did write this today, just not so eloquently. :)

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 15, 2013

I was a sped teacher (RSP) for just a year several yrs ago. I'd never want to do that again in a million yrs.