Ready to come home to America...now I just need a job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cafekarma, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 12, 2013

Hello, fellow teachers. I've never started a post on a forum in my life, but I really need advice, so it's time!

I'm a Georgia certified k-5 teacher who left the U.S. in 2011 to teach in Berlin. This is my third year in a private bilingual school, and it's hitting me now that as time goes by I will be more and more out of touch with the standards and methods used in schools back home. I'm also ready to be closer to my family and culture again. For these reasons I'm in the process of planning my return.

From what I've read on this forum, it IS possible to get a job in the States, just probably not in Georgia. My school year doesn't end until early July, so I'll have a tricky transition ahead of me. I won't have the luxury of being choosy because once I move my things (and my cat!) home, I'll need to be positive that I can get a job somewhere and fast. It won't be possible for me to show up in person for interviews before July, so my conclusion is that I'll need to search for a job in a district that is willing to consider a candidate who is not currently in the country. I've read that some districts conduct Skype interviews. Is this unusual?

My question is this: Do any of you have suggestions for districts anywhere in the country where a teacher like me could have a solid shot at finding a job? My preference is for a foodie-friendly area that is not too rural and has some sort of cultural diversity. Obviously this is just a preference since I can't afford to be too picky. I can look at job postings, but they don't tell me how many people are applying for the jobs. I'm in the dark over here! Any leads or advice would be fantastic. Thanks!

3. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2013

No advice, just wishing you good luck! :)

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 12, 2013

If you are willing to work in inner city, I think you won't have that bad of time getting a job. Make your resume reflect the experiences you have had while overseas.

5. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Nov 12, 2013

I had a couple of skype interviews while living abroad, but most districts and schools preferred to interview me in person. I constantly watched for postings online, communicated with teachers I knew about openings they knew about and was persistent with email and phone when I saw them and spent a lot of money at the post office making sure they had every document needed so that I had 3 interviews lined up the week I moved back home - of course, a scanner should make that easier for you, which I didn't have access to.

Private schools may be more interested in skype interviews - I know of a teacher whose private school in the US actually paid for her to fly back from the country she was living in at the time to interview her, put her up in a hotel w/lodging, etc. and fly her back. Public may be more difficult and less willing to wait.

Are you looking to teach elementary?

6. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 12, 2013

Thanks, Katrinkakat. :)

Mrachelle, hopefully that is true. I'm definitely open to working in an inner city. Thanks for the advice.

Mcqxu, I have a scanner ready to go. It's encouraging to read that you had so many interviews. I'll stay on top of things until I can get home and will apply to some private schools. Yes, I'm looking to teach elementary.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2013

If your German is good, you might see if there are any dual-language magnet schools hiring, or you might even make a point of being willing to help launch such a thing. You might need to get certification in German to do so, and I don't recall whether Georgia's test for teaching German is computer-based.

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Nov 12, 2013

A bigger city might have a German-American school. I know of several on the west coast.

9. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Nov 12, 2013

I did this when I came back from Abu Dhabi. I got many offers in North Carolina. It is not necessarily where I will be forever- but it did what I needed it to- got me a job in the U.S. when I only had a month to get one. I was even able to switch counties after a year easily. But you should read about NC education in the news before becoming too set on it.

10. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 13, 2013

I wish I could say that my German would be good enough to land a job teaching it, but that's not the case. I didn't know a word of it two years ago, and it's still pretty limited. Georgia does have computer-based testing, though. I might try to take the test and see how it goes.

SandyCastles, which districts in NC were the most responsive? I've read about what is happening there, but at least you have a teaching position. It wouldn't be too far from home, either.

Thanks again for all of the helpful advice!

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2013

No advice, but best wishes. I've been in Costa Rica teaching for the past two years and I'm about ready to head back to the USA (or move to another country) too!

12. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Nov 13, 2013

I will send you a pm

13. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 14, 2013

Thanks, Lucybelle. I wonder how many of us there are out there in this same situation. I would be interested in reading about your progress if you plan your escape soon.