Ready for next year?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SuperMissM, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I have seen my class list (wonderful!!!!!)
    I have recieved most of my order... good stuff!
    I have looked through books of ideas and things on here...

I want next year to start so I dont forget what I want to do!

Ahh! I need a vacation - but I need to force myself to have one!

Granted today IS my mental health Monday.

3. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

I am counting down the days! It's sad that I'm wishing away my summer, but I can't wait to start teaching!
    I have seen my classroom, but I don't get to get in there for another few weeks.
    I have a classroom management seminar at my school at the end of June. I am looking forward to that.
    I have gotten my mom to commit to helping me set up my classroom in July.
    And by mid-July, I will be in the full swing of things at my school. Yay!

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 9, 2008

I am soooooooo not ready for school. I am going to savor every morsel of summer while it's here!

Although, I will do this while teaching summer school, taking online classes, and planning for a new grade level!!!

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 9, 2008

Super excited for the next school year. I've already gotten a lot of planning done, and purchased things for my room.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

I'm super excited for next year. Next year will be my first full year as a middle school teacher. I took over this year in october in what I thought was a favor to a friend and turned out to be a blessing to me. Next year I get to start at the begining. I feel like the classroom is finally MINE and not somebody else's that I borrowed for most of the year. I'm not changing much as far as the decor goes..making it neater and nicer, but I'm all excited about it really being mine.

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I brought home all my texts, etc., to start planning lessons for next year. I have a ton of ideas!! I do want to step back for a little while first and take a break, but I'm sure I'll be ready to go back my mid-July. ;)

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 9, 2008

I brought home lots of things to read/re-read and things I want to change for next year. However, I am not looking at it until July, at least, and only for 2 days at a time.

9. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I am super excited for next year as well. I am moving states and grade levels. Going from elementary to middle and I think it will be the best thing I've ever done. Hope to stay there for awhile!

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 9, 2008

I very excited for next year! I already started ordering things, putting together my classroom theme, planning first week activities, and new things to add to my classroom (mystery readers, STAR binders, postcard geography, etc). I was offered a position last Wednesday. I can't wait to see my new school and classroom. Hopefully I'll be able to see it this Wednesday when I go in to sign some papers.

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Hmmm.....looks like most of you are elementary and middle school teachers. Is it possible the high school teachers are not as anxious to get back to school? As I wrote in a previous post, I will be ready by mid-July.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2008

I'm a high school teacher. While I'm excited for next year, I definitely need a break after this one. :)

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2008

This year only just ended Friday! :D I am a little excited for next year but I totally need a vacation!!!!! :2up: Unfortunately I have to move classrooms this Tuesday, :unsure:so I have to pack up Monday!.:down:

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2008

This year still hasn't ended--2 more weeks! With all of the planning going on for next year (class lists, timetables, etc) it's hard not to be thinking about it, but I am more than ready for a break.

15. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jun 15, 2008

Ha ha! The joys of teaching at a year round school...I have two more weeks with this crew, a weeks break (though I will be in staff meetings) and then the new year begins on July 7th! I am excited for the new crew but they are so small when they come into first grade at the beginning of July. I feel as though I am in two worlds. I am planning year end activities at the same time I am looking at beginning of the year activities and making name tags/folders/etc.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2008

I just want to clean my room out and sort through the stuff I have for next year and my level change.

I'm not sure I am excited to get back yet. I have summer program to teach (with 4-5 year olds!) and some other big things going on this summer.

When I go in I want to start moving furniture, but I can't really do it yet... so I will sit tight. The problem is we have keys and can go in any time. I could theoretically be there every day all summer! Ick.

I am starting to make new forms and things for my class. I have seen my list, but I think it could still change so I am also not doing too much in that area. I'm just a bit stuck as to what I can do right now.

Yesterday I used some gift cards at B & N and bought some early readers, which I have NONE of right now.

17. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 15, 2008

I really am not ready for next year. At this point, I know I have a job, but not sure what grade I will be teaching. It will either be first grade or kindergarten. I currently teach kindergarten, so that is my preference. I will not know until July 9th when the school board will vote on if they will allow a 2nd kindergarten class at my school. If not, I will be teaching first.

This year was very stressful for me. It was my first year teaching and I made a few mistakes. The whole teacher certification/mentor program was very hard for me. Our program sucks. With budget cuts, we were scared that our contracts would not be renewed. My certification was renewed for my 2nd year. This year will be the killer - I need to get continuing contract, and I am just terrified that I wont.

I just want next year to be good. I want to be comfortable in my teaching and I want my principal to finally accept me.

I will be staying home this summer with my son, so it will be a really nice summer.

We still have 2 days of school left, so I am not on vacation yet. Maybe after staying home for a few weeks I will be more ready and eager to start. I just am not right now...

18. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

Lindzee82, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm returning to my old school (quit in Nov. to be a stay at home mom, realized I didn't like that, subbed at a school in the same district from April until end of the year, now coming back to my original school where my heart is) and I don't know what grade level I have either. It will be kindergarten (my dream job) or 3rd.

I'm very excited to go back to school but I'm soooo not ready because I don't know what I'll be teaching so I can't really prepare quite yet. That drives me crazy becuase I like for my ducks to be a row! LOL

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 15, 2008

My students last day was Friday and I have a teacher only day tomorrow. So I'm definitely not thinking of next year yet! Of course since I don't have a job yet (I was a LTS since Jan if this year) my main focus is getting a job so that I CAN start to think about next year!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2008

I still have a week left- 1/2 days Thursday and Friday. Looking forward to summer, not September!

21. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 15, 2008

I am definitley a planner, as well. And not knowing what grade I am teaching for another month is going to be tough. Luckily, there really isn't that much difference in classroom setup from k to 1. It is the curriculum preparation time that I will be missing. Ugh!

I hope you find out soon what you will be teaching!! K would be great!!!!

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 15, 2008

This is one of the things I love about this site - your enthusiasm is contagious! It's so great to hear others who are excited for next year already. (My co-workers simply don't want to hear any more of that from me).

I am also teaching summer school - so not officially on vacation yet. But have a lot of things to keep me busy in July - lesson planning and making workstations, etc. It was a really humbling year this past year - a challenging group that had the ability to make me feel like the worst teacher in the world. I'm ready for new kids and implementing changes that will hopefully prevent it from happening again.

23. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jun 15, 2008

All I have is that I know where I am going to be teaching. I should email my principal, I've just been so damned busy I haven't had time.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 15, 2008

My school is year round too and I only get 2 weeks for vacation. The only good thing is that I'll have the same students so there's not much extra planning. I can just pick up where we left off. I am kind of jealous of the teachers here talking about having the whole summer off but I always stay in the same classroom and never have to pack up or move anything!

25. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jun 15, 2008

I'm in the same boat! I started at the end of October (literally, it was the 29th!) and now I get to start on day one like everyone else! I'm so ready! I can do all the rules and procedures and policies on DAYONE!!! I started to feel like it was mine when we moved to newly renovated rooms, but next year..it will absolutely be mine and I won't hear the comments of "when Mr.____ was our teacher we didn't do that" and "Mr._____ was easier" etc.

26. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

Other than some workshops and seminars, I won't start thinking about getting back until the first of August! (Maybe it is a HS thing!)

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2008

I couldn't imagine teaching year round.. but good for those of you who do! You have a two week break, then get your new class... I totally need the debriefing time to look at my practice and prepare for the upcoming year.