Ready for a little more bad news?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by david pisgah, Mar 7, 2009.

1. david pisgah

david pisgah New Member

Mar 7, 2009

Hi- I just saw this on the front page of the local paper: "Recession Brings Flood of Subs to Area Schools." The article describes how Buncombe county , NC (the largest employer in western NC) has had so many sub-teacher applications, they 've stopped accepting applications! It's the economy of course-so many people have been laid off from work, they are having to seek an alternative income. Don't know if this is happening in your area, but I would bet it is, or soon will be. This is very bad news for those of us who aren't certified, and were hoping to work as a sub in the meantime. I am still at least 1/2 year away from finishing certification, and I've been on the NC state list of sub. teachers for a year. In that time I've had two(!) calls to substitute (none so far this year). I'm at least as qualified as anybody else, but with more and more people signing up, that opportunity is disappearing. And so is my resolve to continue certification. The small amount of teaching I've done was the most rewarding thing I've done in my life, but now, without certification, with no job prospects if I finish certifification, and now, with little (if any) chance even to sub, I feel like I'm wandering in the desert. If anybody has any encouraging news, I'd love to hear it.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 7, 2009

You are in a tough situation, timing-wise. My only suggestion would be to get on sub lists at private schools.

4. palla

palla Companion

Mar 7, 2009

They do a training workshop for subs in my county. You have to take the workshop before you can sub. The December workshop filled up 15 minutes after registration was opened. They had 112 people register that quickly. It is insane!

5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2009

Welcome, David! I'm in Charlotte--you're around Asheville? My suggestion is get the license if you can. I hear that even though they say they're cutting back on teachers, the ones that are either giving up, retiring, or moving may take care of that and then some. I know we need subs around here (Mecklenburg Cty., Union Cty.), and I'll just bet we'll wind up needing teachers by the time school is about to start. And this recession can't last forever! Good luck!

6. cult

cult Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

If you are willing to teach in a "rough" neighborhood in an urban setting, then you will have many more opportunities than those who are not. Many laid-off white collar workers might consider substitute teaching, especially with cute primary grade kids, but even in this economy I don't think too many souls are willing to plunge into the world of the adolescent gangbanger in the ghetto. If you're one of the folks who can handle it, this seems a good move in terms of finding a position.

7. palla

palla Companion

Mar 18, 2009

They have talked about cutting the parapro program here. I don't think they would/could eliminate them all, but it would create a influx of people planning to sub, in addition to the people who are already on the sub list. Of course, not everyone on the sub list actually serves as a sub. I have taken the workshop, but haven't subbed yet, but I can only imagine how difficult it would be to get sub jobs if there are parapros from 16 elementary schools working as subs.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 18, 2009

They stopped hiring subs in my area too. It's very scary. At least you'll have a reason if you're ever asked why you haven't subbed.

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Mar 22, 2009

I live in S. FL and I just began to sub a month and a half ago after receiving my elementary education degree in December. During our orientation we were told there were over 6000 subs in the system and they had to stop taking applications. I'm sure a lot of these subs are people who have been laid off. It is discouraging to me to have to fight for jobs with people who are just seeing this as a paycheck. I feel for those people don't get me wrong and I would probably do the same thing if I couldn't find a job and needed to feed my family but it is hard for me to find sub jobs. Since I cannot find a teaching job right now, this is my only way to be in the classroom where hopefully the principals will notice me and will hopefully offer me a job for next school year. The only thing I can do is do the best job I can while I am at the schools and that is what I suggest to other subs who are in similar situations. Down here, subs print up business cards and distribute them into the teacher's mailboxes to help get more jobs so maybe you all could do that.

Good luck to everyone!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 22, 2009

l8dybug's suggestion is a good one about printing up business cards. You can get them free via Vista Print (you pay for shipping, and be sure to opt out of anything they suggest you add). Then when you do get a sub job, do a great job and leave your card. Then that teacher, or someone else she/he works with, will be more likely to request you for another assignment. I was very happy with my last sub, and my students liked him as well, so I'll be sure to use him next time. He was smart and left his name and sub ID# right with the work my students had done so he knew I'd see it.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 22, 2009

I have to chime in about business cards. We have an automated sub system, and unless I know someone specific, and call them directly, the only thing we can do is put in for a sub, and then the job is "picked up." We never know by whom until they show up.

On the other hand, subs who I've seen in the building who do a good job, and who give me a business card -- those are ones I'll take the extra effort for and call them to set it up. Knowing my kids are good hands is worth a lot to me.

Get some cards printed, and hand them out generously.

12. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Mar 22, 2009

you have to be certified to teach to get a subbing job anywhere around me - soooo i only have to worry about the billions of teachers who graduate each semester :) but most schools around me still need subs

i just wish they would stop advertising teaching as if we NEED more teachers! THERE aren't enough jobs to go around - grr!

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Mar 23, 2009

Where do you teach? I think that's amazing they require their subs to be certified teachers. Here you need 60 hrs college credit to be a sub but to be a long term sub, you have to hold a degree.

14. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

I lived in Broward Fl and I haven't subbed since Jan. We had the same problem in my area. So many people want to sub because they need a job. Its a shame though I really wanted to teach and I was using this to get classroom management, but there are so many people out of work that is the best way for people to get work.
    I am getting out now, and I am actually looking for work in IT.

15. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

western PA

in any district every sub is required to turn in:

PA Application, 3 Clearances, Resume, Teaching Certificate, Praxis, Transcripts

to be put on their substitute list

16. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

I was able to sub for the second time. I found out that the school does use their favs and I will be called if they need more. That call came last week and I have a bad feeling with the swine flu now in Florida we will all be called on.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

I am still on an active sub list from when I did that a few years ago. I rarely get calls since I've put my number as active again. Worried b/c I might need that income in the fall :(

18. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

Same here that is why I am doing it. I am hoping to get some IT contracts over the summer months that will bring extra cash in.

19. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

May 4, 2009

About Buncombe-- I'm a Michigander aching to transplant myself in NC. At our university's ed. career fair a couple weeks back, the recruiter from Buncombe County wouldn't even take my resume because I wasn't in a desired field (math, science, sped). Talk about a blow to the confidence.

20. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Jun 21, 2009

Broward County just laid of 396 teachers, this is the first round of teachers being let go. The total of lay off here in Broward Florida is 600 total, I am glad that I left!!!!!

I couldn't get into the teaching area and the way they are doing this is by the last one's who were hired were the ones that were let go!!!! some were brought in from other counties and that was wrong. So my guess is I am out of a subbing job and teaching is not likely!!!!!

I guess its back to IT work!!!!

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 21, 2009

Unfortunately, its like that in many industries. Last hired is first fired. I heard about the 396 but isn't Broward's enrollment down as well?

22. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

Yes enrollment is down in Broward County and they are about to lose two more students at the end of this week. We're moving to another state, where hopefully there is a chance of me finding a teaching job.

23. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

Yes its down in Broward and Dade Counties, its really bad here though. They really need to overhaul the whole system. The problem is that no one wants to change it. They think that letting go jobs is the best thing, and to be fair its not. They want to hire young people because they can pay them for less. Broward teachers makes 26 dollars an hour and after the first year the teachers get a 50.00 dollars increase in their salaries.
    Most people who want to teach are in it for the money while others really do want to teach.
    So the problem is not with the enrollment is the way they have it setup. Get rid of FCAT which cost Florida 51.5 million a year and there is half of your budget.