readingatoz website

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hojalata, Oct 8, 2006.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 8, 2006

A previous post about worth-while websites prompted me to look into the reading a to z site. It looks awsome and amazing, and I can only begin to think of all the cool things I could do with the books. BUT.... $80!? Dang, that's a lot of money!!! If you belong... is it worth it? What's the best part? Thanks!!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2006

It is absolutely worth it. YOu have access to thousands of guided reading books and resources. Tons of activities to use with the books etc. There really is no other reading website like it.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 8, 2006

I sat there looking at that website for about an hour deciding whether or not to sign up. I needed leveled books for guided reading so I ended up joining. You really only have to do it once, you can save all the books to print out later on and they do have a lot of choices for each level and a whole section with poetry. It's cheaper than buying leveled readers.

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Oct 9, 2006

I signed up...

Not only does it have leveled readers (aa to Z), but comprehension worksheets that go with the book...or a Benchmark Quiz if its a benchmark book...

Then, there are the poetry pages...and styles...

and the fluency passages...

and the selection of non-fiction stories...which are great with Science and Social Studies topics...

AND...you can provide every student in your class with a copy to take home to practice with (yet easily replace if lost).

Plus, if you have students who are learning Spanish or French, several of the same books come in Spanish, French, and English.

I think its worth it!

6. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

Our school bought us subscriptions, but if they hadn't, I would have bought it myself! It has some reader's theater scripts as well. The only drawback is you have to make the books yourself... but, still cheaper than buying whole new sets of leveled readers! Oh, I also really like the worksheets that go with each book. You should subscribe!

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Oct 9, 2006

Celestial-

Wow, that is great... Every year, I ask the Director of Technology if there is anyway to get a subscription for the school. She said she wants to, but our referendum did not pass again so we are limited with the money.

I absolutely love this website. In fact, we are going to start doing guided reading by the end of this school year. So, I am going to subscribe to it again and use this for my leveled readers. Hopefully, next year, the school can purchase a license for Reading A-Z.:confused:

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 9, 2006

Our school bought us subscriptions, too.

9. Miss F

Miss F New Member

Oct 9, 2006

It is so worth it!

We use the Reading A to Z website at the school where I teach. It has proved to be a valuable asset. We use the books for guided reading groups. They are great because they give you benchmarks, running records, and leveled books. If you consider the cost of buying different books from a book store, the money you spend for the Reading A to Z isn't so much. Plus there are comprehensive worksheets and activities that go along with each leveled book (there are hundreds of books to print!). Bonus: you can print off all the books and activities, and save them in a binder. You won't have to join again, because you will already have the master copies of the books!

10. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 9, 2006

I have not joined reading a to z, but something myself and some coworkers did with enchantedlearning.com is split the cost, and all use one username/password. I know that it is cheating, but its really a lot to pay all that money!

11. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 9, 2006

wow, well it sounds like I'll give it a try. I was wondering if another teacher and I could split the subscription-- I'll have to look into that ;) Thanks!