Reading?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jlyn07, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I have an interview Monday for a reading teacher position. This will be my second interview for a reading position - my fifth interview overall.

In my previous reading interview they asked:
    - What are the five elements of literacy?
    - What would your role be concerning RTI?
    - Are you familiar with 6+1?
    - How would you help a struggling reader?
    - What is your experience, other than student teaching, teaching reading?
    - How would you teach writing?

I feel like I totally blew that interview; I wasn't confident in my answers and it showed. I know the answers to most of those questions but when interviewing I just get so frazzled.

Can anyone think of any other questions they might ask? I want to be completely prepared.

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

I am a reading teacher, and I have no idea what the first two questions mean. I have HEARD of 6+1, but I couldn't tell you about it.

I always explain that context matters. If I want great readers and writers they need to read and write. I teach writing by using mini-lessons and then giving the kids time to write in class. We work through the steps of the writing process. Struggling and excelling readers, I would make sure I have their appropriate reading levels and then help them to select books that push them. I would do small group pull-out to give struggling students skills to help them be better readers.

I usually answer with examples. I am honest when I do not know something, and let them know that I am more than willing to reach out for help when needed.

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

During a basic skills reading teacher interview I got asked:

how do you teach comprehension?
    What do you know about running records and how often would you use them?
    How do you get students interested in writers?

These are the only ones I could think of right now.

ps. what are the 5 elements of literacy?

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

They might be talking about the 5 elements from the National Reading Panel (phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension and vocabulary).

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

I am sure what this is the answer they wanted. RtI is Response to Intervention which incorporates interventions to be used with struggling students. Here is a website that has tons of information. Just do a search of Response to Intervention and you can get more info.
    Here is a definition for you.

Response to intervention integrates assessment and intervention within a multi-level prevention system to maximize student achievement and to reduce behavior problems. With RTI, schools identify students at risk for poor learning outcomes, monitor student progress, provide evidence-based interventions and adjust the intensity and nature of those interventions depending on a student’s responsiveness, and identify students with learning disabilities.

http://www.rti4success.org/

7. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Smurfette and DHE are right on. We covered those in our Reading class in college, but we didn't cover 6 + 1. I am glad you mentioned it so I can look it up. As for getting students interested in writing--during my student teaching I had writing folders that the students worked in that gave them choices of fun writing prompts for each day. I know a lot of people don't like writing prompts but these third graders thought they were fun and it kept them from asking what they should write about. One of the prompts was something like pretend you are a rabbit and write a story about all of the different adventures you would have in a day. The others were similar and what made it so much fun for the students is that afterwards I allowed them some share time where the students got to use a microphone to read their stories. We then voted on a writer of the day. Don't know if this helps any.
    Good luck on the upcoming interview.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

the 6+1 is a method of teaching writing. It was "founded"(?) by Ruth Culham.

Originally the 6 traits of writing:

Ideas
    Organization
    Word Choice
    Voice
    Conventions (includes grammar, punctuation, capitalizations)
    Sentence Fluency

Later Presentation was added (as the "+1") for overall appearance of the paper...margins, handwriting, neatness.

Could write more about them later...need to get to my side job.

And yes... the 5 elements of READING...not Literacy...are

Phonemic Awareness
    Phonics
    Vocabulary
    Fluency
    and Comprehension

...I am also OFTEN asked what Balanced Literacy is.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

I would definitely study up on Lucy Calkins, Fountas & Pinnell and how to assess reading and writing (running records, DRAs, QRIs, writing rubrics, DIBELS, etc.). Good luck!

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

You are right Smurfette. Some people call these the cueing systems which may be why some people did not recognize them right off. :) All the best to you!

11. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Great info!!!

Thanks!

12. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 12, 2009

For my current position, I was given a classes' test scores and asked what I would do for the lower students?

My response was that I would look deeper into the data in order to find out what specific weaknesses the students had, group them accordingly into small groups, and provide instruction targeting their weaknesses. I would progress monitor regularly and regroup as needed.

I think I answered to her satisfaction because I got the job!

13. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks everybody! Surprisingly, I am feeling very confident for this interview. I just don't want to be disappointed. I think its because I know the school (I did a 3 week practicum there while I was in undergrad) and the population of the kids.

Thanks again!