reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dbcteacher, May 20, 2010.

1. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

May 20, 2010

What is popcorn reading? Heard about it in Reading First and in a thread here at A ot Z. I don't think I have ever used it.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 20, 2010

Popcorn reading is whole group reading where the students must follow along with the reading in order to be ready to read, themselves, when they are 'popcorned'. The teacher selects the first reader, he or she reads at least the minimum (set by the teacher) amount, then stops and says, "Popcorn _____", naming a classmate. That classmate should be ready to pick up where the prior student left off.

I always made sure everyone read once before anyone got a second chance. Sometimes we needed a show of hands to see who was available. If a student was completely lost when it was his or her turn, they got skipped until a later chance when they were ready to read. It can also be done in small groupings, as in literature circles, or partners reading.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2010

A variant has the teacher doing the picking, but randomly - unlike round-robin reading, in which the sequence is clear to everyone.