Reading/Writing Workshops

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Jun 18, 2009.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

Hey all!

My school will be implementing a reading/writer's workshop next year for all grades. I teach 7th grade and the middle school is focusing on Nancie Atwell's methods. I've done a little reading on her writing workshop, and I'm incredibly overwhelmed. I've never taught in an environment where there are reading and writing workshops, so I'm trying to picture it in my mind while reading up on these.

For those of you that teach the workshops at the middle school level, could you answer a few questions for me? It would really help me out!

Do you conduct the reading/writing workshop on the same day? Or is it broken up throughout the week?

Where the heck do you get your mini lesson ideas from? I have no clue where to even start.

How do you conduct the conferencing sessions? What do you talk to the kids about?

Should the reading workshop correlate with what the kids are learning in the writing workshop?

As you can see, I'm beyond confused! I just wish I could see a middle school teacher model this...I learn better that way!

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

:)

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

My r/w workshop is a work in progress. Something about it changes every year. Just remember that you are NOT Nancie, and you shouldn't try to do your workshop just like hers. You have to figure out what parts will work with your kids and your style and adapt.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

I haven't used the Workshop model in a class, especially middle school; however, it is what I plan on using when I'm hired and I've been doing some research on it.

I plan on alternating them on different days. MWF-Reading, TTH-Writing.

I get my mini lessons from novels we're reading or writing we're talking about. It could something that I notice a majority of students are struggling with or what I think they need more help with.

Again, if I notice that a student is struggling with something throughout their writing then we'll talk about that. I also have students think of 1-2 things they feel they need to discuss/work on.

Not necessarily

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 19, 2009

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

My read alouds connect my reading and writing workshops. If we're studying personal narratives in writing, my read aloud will be a personal narrative. I use the read aloud to model my thinking or whatever I want my mini-lesson to be during reading workshop. I refer back to this read aloud as a mentor text for writing.
    I'm in 6th and I get a 2 hour block for R & W workshops. For those of you that teach in the MS, how do you schedule reading & writing workshops if you only have an hour a day? When I taught 7th/8th, I didn't use the workshops because I felt like there wasn't enough time.