reading workshop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, May 21, 2008.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 21, 2008

what does your balanced literacy readers workshop look like?

I know the basic frame work of
    model read
    mini lesson
    independent read (mabye some centers, groups happening as well)

My question is ...what happens during these mini lessons? I always hear about doing strategy or comp. lessons, what about phonics and word work? With first graders this is key!

Does anyone have a weekly schedule for what kinds of mini lessons are done on what days (M- word work, T- shared read etc...)
    Thanks!!

3. MsX

MsX Companion

May 21, 2008

I do word work, shared reading, etc separate from reader's workshop. I have about 20 minutes of word work scheduled later in the day and shared reading takes place at other times too. Also, I find I squeeze in a little bit of word work during guided reading lessons and during individual reading conferences

The mini-lessons themselves can really vary depending on what you're teaching. I usually have monthly units - in april we studied non-fiction and now we're on characters. A sample character mini-lesson in first grade would be "Reader's notice how a character feels inside" and then another day my lesson would be "Reader's notice how a character looks on the outside." The actual lesson can be brief (just explaining what you want the students to do) to more in depth and modeling by using a book or having some sort of active engagement activity. That's actually something I like about the workshop model. There's room to do different things on different days.

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 21, 2008

I also have a separate time set aside for phonics/spelling/word work. I also pull phonics into my guided reading lesson by doing some sort of word work before reading the story. My reading workshop mini-lessons only deal with reading strategies centered around a particular text that supports using that strategy. Texts I use are poems, big books, and picture books. For example, today I read A House for Hermit Crab and we practiced making text to self, text to text connections, and also "turning to our partner". Then I sent them to their seat to complete a making connections page related to the story while I pulled my first reading group. Hope this helps some!