Reading Workshop?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by BabyMakes3, Sep 3, 2007.

1. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I'm curious if anyone else is doing Reading Workshop at 5th grade. I did it last year and really enjoyed it & felt the kids benefited from it. I'm planning on doing it again this year, but would love to find others out there with whom I can bounce/share ideas. :cool:
    Jamie

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2007

I'm using it this year for the first time. I've only taught with basals and whole-class novels before.

4. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

We got a new series this year and are expected to do guided reading, but also use the basal. I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing that. Last year I pretty much did guided reading 5 days a week. Now I need to figure out how to bring in the basal and when.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2007

So, you need to do readers' workshop, guided reading, and use the basal?

6. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

Pretty much! I mean, a component of readers workshop is the guided reading, so that isn't an issue. I'm just trying to figure out where to bring in the basal. I"m thinking it will be on Mondays. I will use the story to whole group introduce a skill and vocabulary. It will then be one of the read-alouds. After that we really won't use it unless to revisit that skill. Oh, I don't know!

7. darzie

darzie Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I'm interested to see how you'll accomplish that as well. I, too, am expected to do all of the above.

8. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

After talking with another teacher who has combined both, I think I've come up with how I'm going to try it.
    On Monday I will introduce the skill that goes along with the story & use 1/2 of the story as a read aloud. Tuesday will be the same with the other 1/2 of the story. When they read independently, I will give them a "job" that has to do with that skill (ex: describe the main character in the story you're reading). Wednesday I'll use the read aloud anthology that goes with the story and come up with a mini lesson that goes along with it. Thursday I'll come up with my own mini lesson & read aloud. I'll see how it goes the next few weeks and modify as needed.

9. darzie

darzie Companion

Sep 11, 2007

I found a day by day mini-lesson packet for every day of the year. I cannot for the life of me remember where I found it. I know that there the first twenty days in Fountas and Pinnell, but this was one for every day of the school year. Does anyone know where I can find it again?? It's driving me crazy. And it was excellent!

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 30, 2007

I have been using Reader's Workshop for 5+ years. I have tweaked it along the way, but right now I am using it in it's "purest" form. (finally). I actually incorporate the basal (when I find the story appropriate to what I need to cover) during my guided reading. The rest of the time, I use trade books, informational text from the internet and so on. In my school, we are also using Making Meaning, a program in which read alouds are used to help students think before they respond to questions from the text. My students love the freedom they have during Reader's workshop. IT is my quietest 90 minutes of my day. A helpful website is Laura Candler's webpage. She is a 5th grade techer from North Carolina. I use many of her ideas, especially the literacy menu. Let me know if I can help further!

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 30, 2007

I feel like a horrible teacher asking this, but can someone explain Reader's workshop to me? I don't really even understand what it means by saying you do reader's workshop with guided reading. Does that mean everyone is reading a book based on their reading level? Sometimes my terminology is all forgotten!

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2007

I would recommend Beth Newingham's site as well. She has a lot of great info on reading workshop as well as pictures etc. Definitely worth a look. As far as the basal goes, I would use it strictly for guided reading... But that's just me... It's so hard to incorporate it all.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 2, 2007

Reader's Workshop is incorporating the following into your literacy block: guided reading, independent reading, shared reading, and read alouds. Basically, it is just how it sounds, except guided reading is done in a small group setting, where shared reading can be done with a whole group.
    The latest buzz word is a balanced literacy framework. That incorporates Reader's Workshop, Writer's Workshop and Word Study.
    Hope that helps!

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 3, 2007

Me? http://teachingvision.org/readingwriting? Even if it wasn't me, I'll explain anyway...

Though I haven't adhered to everything, we're generally going to cover everything I mentioned on the packet. We're generally doing what I originally projected we'd do at this time.

Reader's workshop is getting closer to being an even greater reality with the students finally getting into their novels and summarizing them in different ways. The reading class is excited about projects like the cereal boxes and talk shows I believe I mentioned in my calendar during the summer.

You could have also found something with mini-lessons from Georgia because there's a 180-day scope and sequence with Georgia standards online.

15. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 4, 2007

Wow! How awesome! Thanks! A wealth of info on that site.

16. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 4, 2007

I'm trying to organize my classroom library, and I have purchased many bins for my books. I'm befuddled about how to label the book bins. I have some for the kids' (and my) favorite authors. I have labeled some for the various genres, like Historical Fiction, Mysteries, etc. My quandry is if a book fits into several categories, which bin would it go into??? I had this conversation with the kids to try to decide, and it was quite interesting. How do you guys decide?

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

I love Beth Newingham!!