Reading Workshop in 5th??

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teacherlissa, Aug 4, 2011.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

I am a new 5th grade teacher (coming from 3rd). We have adopted the common core standards. I have zero reading resources at this level that will work with the common core standards. I also will be teaching 3 classes a 50 minute rotation in reading. I am in serious need of advice on how to teach reading in 50 minutes a day, with no resources, with brand new standards. (Oh...and I am due with my first baby in September...so I get to plan for maternity leave too!!)

1. Do you do a Shared Reading component and if so, is it a novel study or short mini-lessons? I am leaning towards short mini-lessons but could use a source to get them. I have always used Debbie Miller to guide my instruction but this is more for primary.

2. Do you meet with Guided Reading groups everyday? I will only have 50 minutes SO...I was thinking I could meet with my lower groups everyday and have my better readers work on Literature Circle groups. Advice?

Any sites or resources you can recommend for the new Common Core standards and/or mini-lessons would be great. Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

I use a more workshop model and am trying to figure out how to work with the common core standards.

I think that I am going to use articles that relate to the students as well as poetry to many of my mini lessons. We will still have a read aloud and opportunities for literature circles.