Reading time

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Carebear05, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I need some ideas/advice about reading time in my class. I talked to one of the other 1st grade teachers the other day and she said that they usually do small groups. I am def. fine with this because I like doing small groups, but I am trying to figure out what is best to do with my other students while I work with the small groups because my whole class will be in the room. This teacher said that she gives them seatwork and she said the other teacher is doing centers. I personally don't want to do either mainly because I think it is hard for 1st graders to do seatwork (esp. at the beginning of the year) and I think seatwork will tend to become boring and repetitive for them. Even tho I know there may be some days where I will need them to do something before we get into groups. I also don't exactly want to do centers either because I think that sometimes those can become distracting. Now I will probably let a few kids use the computers each day and use that somewhat as a center, but I need to figure out what to do with the rest of them. The one teacher told me that she didn't have time to do an actual writing lesson so she incorporated it into other lessons. I thought maybe that was one thing I could let them do during that time is write in their journal. I want everything that they do to be instructional. I was thinking maybe on Fridays letting them play quiet games depending on how well the rest of the week went but I need to know what to give them Mon-Thurs to do. Any ideas or suggestions would help. Thanks!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 20, 2007

Looking at/or silent reading is a good thing for them to do. Also, reading with a partner.

You want them to do something on their own? Journal writing or reading would fine, but it's a lot of sitting for a 6 year old, if the reading block is an hour or so...They can make words and sentences with word tiles, but not many games can be played alone. If you have computers, a few kids a day can do activities online.

I think you should set up a listening center. Have books to look at and the tapes/cd's to listen to. You can even record these yourself. This is a great thing for a small group to do when they are not working with you.

I would have them play games with one another on other days aside from just Friday. First graders need to work on those social skills, and game playing is a great way to work on cooperation, team work, sportsmanship, etc. Also, choose games that involve reading, either that are made specifically FOR reading (the comprehension board games at Lakeshore seem to be really good, but I don't know about the first grade games) or any game really, that involves reading.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

I just read the Daily Five over the weekend. It basically shows you how to structure your reading time so that you have time for guided groups. I am planning on used SOME of the components of the Daily Five. In my district I feel as though we have so many programs that we need to do during reading that I can't do the Daily Five to its fullest. During reading, according to the book, the kids are reading to self, reading to others, listening to reading, writing, and doing word work. I suggest you check it out. It was about $18 and I ordered it from barnes and noble.

5. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

Well in a way I am trying to think of things that would suit my kids. Even tho I haven't met them yet, I have heard stories about them..haha. No I don't necessarily want them to work on their own, but I don't want to make them do anything that will be that distracting. They won't be on their own for an hour. I looked at the schedule from last yr. and I think each group met for like 15-20 min. So the other kids would only have to have something to do for that amount of time. I am planning on letting a few of the kids use the computers each day. I've already decided that. The game thing is just iffy with me because I think it will be somewhat distracting. Not to mention, I know how kids that age cheat and tattle. I just do not want all of my reading blocks interrupted by other kids tattle taling on others or yelling at others or whatever. That is my main concern, if that makes sense.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 20, 2007

How many groups will you have? If you have 3 groups, the other kids will have to be occupied for two 20 minute periods.

Have the calmest or most capable group read with you last, and do computers in the middle. They will be able to read or look at books silently for the first 15 minutes or so. You can also teach them to whisper read to a partner.

The other group can use the computers. I hope you have earphones for each computer station.

You can also have journaling at this time.

Also, a note on teaching kids how to work during reading groups-- have them practice for a couple weeks, just doing the independent activities, until they are able to do that on their own and remain quiet. Practice, practice, practice. Have them practice switching activities (as if you are taking a new group and everyone else moves to do a new thing) and keep practicing until you think you will be able to work with a small group at that time. Also, as they get better at this, you can pull kids to meet with you and read for a minute or two, while everyone else is working. This will be practice for not interuppting you while working in the small group.

Also, don't take too much of what the former teacher said about the class. They will be a little bit older, and maybe the attention spans will have gotten longer. Keep hopeful!