Reading teachers novel question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Nov 9, 2019.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

What do you do when you're teaching a novel that most of the students read the previous year? We're doing a new reading program this year and I have to teach this novel. It is a really good book, but I hate that they read it already-it's hard to make predictions, etc. . . Any advice?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

I wish I had good advice for you. I can only sympathize because I have been put in that situation with many books. ( same thing- had to do w/a reading program.) Maybe you could have them come up with new endings to the book if you teach writing too.
    They could make a project to go with their paper and present the new ending to the class. You could tell the kids that if their paper is interesting enough , you may stop them in the middle of their presentation to allow the class to predict what will happen next.
    Maybe you could ask them to reread to find something they don't remember having understood last time.
    You have a good attitude trying to make it work. I don't read books twice or watch the same movie repetitively like some people do. So, being told to do it from the book company advisor didn't make me too happy. :)
    Plus, I am not a very compliant teacher ( when it comes to stuff like that- I would have been bored having to read the same book twice as a kid and I did not want to make the kids read the same book 2x..) unless the P told me directly that I had to do it. What I did instead was found some novels (Amazon sells cheap class sets of used books) that didn't even go w/ the reading program. I almost got caught a few times, but they were just close calls.. :) I kept w/ the program as much as possible, but had to use different books a lot.

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

I appreciate your input and suggestions. I have to do this novel because it matches the reading program and we have people watching over us a lot to make sure we're teaching it with fidelity! Like I said, it is a good book and hopefully they'll enjoy it the second time around too!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

I wish you the best because from what I have seen parents and kids raise a big stink if they get the same book again. I am so sorry you have people watching over you. That is never fun! Hopefully, with your good attitude, you can make it work!