Reading survey?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by shrinkingviolet, Jul 30, 2005.

1. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

Hi. I am working on some action research involving reading in the classroom. I would appreciate any responses you might have to the following questions. Thanks so much!

1. How often to you read aloud to your students? (If possible, state how many times a week, or month.)

2. How long does/did a typical read-aloud session last in your classroom?

3. If you do read aloud to your students, what is your intention in doing so?

4. What benefits do you see students gain from the read-aloud experience?

5. What types of books/materials do you use for read-alouds? Please rank them in order from 1 (use the most) to 7 (use the least). Feel free to write in and rank any other resource that I may have forgotten to add.

___ Picture books ___ Chapter books ____ Informational/Non-fiction books

___ textbooks ___magazines ___ website information

___ (others, please list) _____________________________________________

6. Do you consider read-alouds part of your planned reading curriculum? What other
    purposes do they serve in your classroom?

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? _________________________________________

How long have you been teaching? _________________________

How many students are in your average class? ________________________

If you are comfortable doing so, please check the line next to your age.

____ 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

3. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

1. How often to you read aloud to your students? (If possible, state how many times a week, or month.)
    everyday at least once- sometimes more than once

15-20 minutes

a. enjoyment of good literature
    b. to teach a reading strategy
    c. learn content/skills

students are comprehending text better, their interests in non-fiction has increased, students begin to love to read

5. What types of books/materials do you use for read-alouds? Please rank them in order from 1 (use the most) to 7 (use the least). Feel free to write in and rank any other resource that I may have forgotten to add.

__1_ Picture books __2_ Chapter books __3__ Informational/Non-fiction books

__4_ textbooks __6_magazines __5_ website information

6. Do you consider read-alouds part of your planned reading curriculum? What other
    they are part of my planned curriculum- they are in my lesson plans and serve many purposes (i stated these purposes in the above answer)

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? _________________________2/3________________

How long have you been teaching? ______3 years___________________

How many students are in your average class? _______24_________________

___X_ 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

Everyday

20-30 minutes or more. It depends on the day. Sometimes we read for enjoyment only, most times we read for teaching concepts.

See #2. You can read in every subject to teach concepts. It helps kids connect reading to everyday events. There are lots of purposes for reading. Connecting text-self, text-text, and text-world sums it up. Remember you don't have to read chapter books or picture books to do this. You can use the internet, records (I've got some great story records), newspapers, magazines, etc...

When the teacher is doing the read-aloud, it can be for any of the reasons above. It also gives the students a model to watch. Giving the students a fluent model encourages reading for information or for pleasure. Giving other students a chance to lead the read-aloud gives other good examples, plus practice. Students may not realize how they read until they actually do it out loud. Alwalys make sure that the student is willing before hand.

1 Picture books 3 Chapter books 2 Informational/Non-fiction books

6 textbooks 7magazines 4 website information

(others, please list) story telling, story records, maps

It's hard to rank 1-3. I use them about the same amount.

Yes! See the above questions to answer the second question.

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? 2nd grade

How long have you been teaching? This is my 2nd year.
    How many students are in your average class? 22-25

X 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 30, 2005

Good luck in you reading research project...

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jul 30, 2005

I like to answer surveys since my clasroon is pretty atypical (self-contained special education--all six of my students have an autism diagnosis). :D

I read aloud almost every day. I pick a theme for each week based around current events or classroom need, then collect thematic literature and read aloud during morning group or sometimes PM group. I also do some reading aloud during small group reading as well as sometimes during leisure/free time.

It depends on the book, the topic, the day, the format of the text. A big book will hold their attention longer than something small. A book comprised of photographs is better than hand drawn illustrations. A rhyming or predictable text pattern will draw some of them in. Definitely never longer than 30 minutes, sometimes as little as 2 minutes for a very easy leveled text aloud.

I love books and I want them to love books too. I target different skills for each student while I read; some answer comprehension questions expressively, some receptively, some help to read aloud and work on decoding, some work on responding/reading with appropriate vocal volume. Some just work on sitting at the table for a more extended period of time without have a behavioral outburst. We work on social skills as well--we define what it means to listen to a book and follow our listening to a book rules. What we read usually reinforces thematic learning--if I expose them to a concept over and over, they retain it better.

Everything I listed above!

1 Picture books 6 Chapter books 2 Informational/Non-fiction books

4 textbooks 3 magazines 5 website information

If it has written words on it, chances are good, I'll read aloud and we'll use it for comprehension. NOTHING is off limits in my classroom--I'll read a Jello No-Bake Cheesecake box aloud as a read aloud (comprehension questions, conventions of print, etc.) without hesitation. Its all based on classroom need. We also read aloud newsletters, newspapers, notes we receive from people in our school, notes I am sending home to parents, etc. I also use a good deal of self-created or class-created materials for reading aloud. We might read a social story aloud to prepare for an upcoming class trip or event, or we might make a book as part of a science lesson and read that the following day to reinforce content learning.

6. Do you consider read-alouds part of your planned reading curriculum? What other purposes do they serve in your classroom?

I definitely consider them part of my planned curriculum, even if they are chosen at the last moment (i.e. I might think, okay, cooking group is this afternoon, let's review the recipe aloud, we need to work on cooking terms again). Read-alouds in an autistic classroom are definitely a little different than they would be in a typical classroom; generally speaking, autistic children are less abstract and have a greater difficulty imagining things. They rely heavily on their visual perceptions of the world, so my read-alouds often have a visual format built in (maybe props that we use with the book, maybe much more emphasis on the illustrations, etc.).

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? I teach self-contained middle school special education (autistic classroom).

How long have you been teaching? 1 year formal teaching, 6 years related field experience (day program work, residential work, etc.).

How many students are in your average class? 6

X 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2005

1. 5 days a week (without fail)

2. 20-30 minutes

3. I want to hook in the reticent readers, demonstrate effective reading for comprehension, introduce non-readers to great stories, promote community

4. Kids who had never read for 30 minutes straight are able to benefit, more students enjoy books

4 Picture books 1 Chapter books 2 Informational/Non-fiction books
    5 textbooks 6 magazines 7 website information

6. Yes, stress-reducer, opportunity to re-group after lunch and recess, non-threatening

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? 5

How long have you been teaching? 8 yrs

How many students are in your average class? 10

____ 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 __X__ 51 and older

8. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 30, 2005

1. How often to you read aloud to your students? (If possible, state how many times a week, or month.) I read to my students at least two times a day from different genres of literature.

It usually last for about 10 - 15 minutes.

3. If you do read aloud to your students, what is your intention in doing so? Usually I read to have them listen to a fluent reader. Sometimes I read with a purpose in mind such as listening for something specific if it was a picture book. I usually teach craft lessons in writing with them later in the day.
    When I read a chapter book or novel it is usually for enjoyment.

4. What benefits do you see students gain from the read-aloud experience? It gives them a chance to relax and listen for either enjoyment or a chance to practice what has just been discussed or learned.

_1__ Picture books _2__ Chapter books __3__ Informational/Non-fiction books

_4__ textbooks _5__magazines __6_ website information

___ (others, please list) poetry_____________________________________________
    I consider all text to be read aloud important. I try not to favor one more than the other.

purposes do they serve in your classroom? Read alouds are very important to my teaching during the day. They serve as a springboard into various activities relating to the curriculum such as science, social studies, and language arts and writing.

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? fifth_________________________________________

How long have you been teaching? six years

How many students are in your average class? 25________________________

__X__ 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

9. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Reading survey?

1. I do daily read-a-louds

2. 15-20 minutes

3. I love to read stories with lots of expression and character voices. My intent is to hook my students on reading and expose them to as many different types of literature as possible.

4. modeling of the way text should be read and exposing them to material that would be very difficult for them to read on their own

5. 1. chapter books
    2. picture books
    3. information/non-fiction books
    4. magazines
    5. textbooks
    6. website information
    7. newspaper articles

6. They are part of my reading curriculum but I do not include it as part of my actual required 120 minutes of reading. The read-a-loud time is additional.

Demographic Questions:

Grade 4

teaching for 8 years

25-26 students

51 and older

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2005

1. How often to you read aloud to your students? (If possible, state how many times a week, or month.)daily

2. How long does/did a typical read-aloud session last in your classroom? 20 minutes

1. create interest and motivation to read 2. develop sense of story and story elements 3. respond to literature through critical thinking questions and book talk, 4. expose children to a variety of genres, authors and illustrators,5. model fluency, 6. facilitate comprehension and vocabulary development

benefits related to above purposes! better book talk, better thinking in books, exposure to literature they may not read on their own, exposure to language/writer's craft

___1 Picture books ___ 2Chapter books ____ 3Informational/Non-fiction books

___ textbooks ___magazines ___ website information

6. Do you consider read-alouds part of your planned reading curriculum? yesWhat other
    purposes do they serve in your classroom? cross curricular teaching

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? _____________________________2____________

How long have you been teaching? 10 years_________________________

How many students are in your average class? ________________________ 21

____ 21-35 ___X_ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older[/QUOTE]

11. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Daily

10 to 15 minutes

Fluency, entertainment, comprehension strategies

Learning to enjoy reading, how to understand what they have read

_2__ Picture books _1_ Chapter books __3__ Informational/Non-fiction books

_7__ textbooks _4__magazines _5__ website information

Planned part of curriculum

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? Third_________________________________________

How long have you been teaching? __
    Five years_______________________

How many students are in your average class? __________________20-22______

_X___ 21-35 ____ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

12. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 1, 2005

survey

EVERYDAY AT LEAST ONCE!

15-30 MINUTES

to work on COMPREHENSION STRATEGIES; to build BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE for other topics; to increase VOCABULARY; for FUN; to expose students to various GENRES; to model READING WITH EXPRESSION and to share my LOVE OF READING with my students

MORE CONFIDENCE WHEN READING ALOUD
    THEIR OWN STORY WRITING IMPROVES
    LOVE OF READING INCREASES
    VOCABULARY INCREASES- I've seen great results in ELL students!

_1__ Picture books _2_ Chapter books __3__ Informational/Non-fiction books

___ textbooks _4__magazines ___ website information

THEY ARE PART OF MY PLANNED CURRICULUM.
    THEY ARE A GREAT WAY TO INTEGRATE SCIENCE AND SOCIAL STUDIES INTO THE CLASSROOM. MY STUDENTS LOVE READING BIOGRAPHIES - THEY LOVE HEARING ABOUT REAL PEOPLE.

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? 1ST AND SECOND (I'M LOOPING)_________________________________________

How long have you been teaching? __
    9 years_______________________

How many students are in your average class? __________________20

____ 21-35 __X__ 36 – 50 ____ 51 and older

13. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 2, 2005

At least once a day, sometimes more.

20-25 minutes

To model good reading, as well as to teach critical reading strategies such as making connections, making inferences, etc.

Students hear a fluent reader who includes expression in his or her voice. Because I model how to figure out the meanings of words, or what I am thinking in my head, students begin to use these strategies when they are reading to help them understand the text.

2 Picture books 1 Chapter books 3 Informational/Non-fiction books

4 textbooks 6 magazines 5 website information

6. Do you consider read-alouds part of your planned reading curriculum? What other purposes do they serve in your classroom?

Read-alouds are part of the reading curriculum, however, I also use read-alouds to introduce new concepts in science, math, or social studies. I've also used them to introduce feelings, manners, behaviors, etc.

Demographic Questions:

What grade do you teach? 3rd

How long have you been teaching? 3 years

How many students are in your average class? 24

21-35