Reading Street

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2sands, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Does anyone here use Reading Street by Scott Foresman? We're starting it this school year. I just wanted any opinions or comments from anyone who has used it. Thanks!

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

Hello! My school started the program last year... I'm moving from 2nd to K this year, so I can't speak specifically about the K program, but more generally about RS in general. I'd say most like it. It is literature based, so that is good. There is a LOT to the program, so you really have to pick and choose, you can NOT do everything and will kill yourself if you try to! The kids seem to enjoy it, which always helps. I have observed the K program - it moves fast - the entire alphabet is taught in the first few weeks.

4. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

halpey1, I was going to say pretty much the same thing and I'm moving from 2nd to K too! I really like the fact that they give you so many ways to present the material. I feel like you really get the opportunity to make it your own and fit it to your classroom. The manuals are scripted if you need it but they don't HAVE to be followed. I've heard a lot of K teachers in our district say that it moves too fast; but again, its something that you have to fit to your classroom needs. I know that my 2nd graders really seemed to enjoy it. I also like the fact that each story has a social studies or science connection. It'll be fun to see how this program flows in K! Good luck!

5. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Like the others said there is a lot to the program. We were told to focus on the targeted skills. These are marked with a target(duh!):D. I personally don't think we spend enough time on the stories and one of the first grade teachers did not like they way the phonics was presented. Plus for second grade the students are divided by reading level, so you can only have 4 students in the lowest group and split the rest into the middle and advance reading groups. Have you EVER had a "small" group of 8-10 students? We know what the research says but according to the Scott Foresman folks thats the way it is. Yeah, right:banghead:

6. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

We started RS last year. We were told to give the baseline test at the beginning of the year. The bottom six is your low group and you move the rest accordingly. Of course, my class was so low that they all started out in the low group, but it took until Christmas before I had a definitive low, med. and high group and mine balance out within the class. I love RS. Stress the targeted skills and if you have time pick and choose the best of the rest.

If you have a structured reading block, I would suggest a timer for yourself so you stay on target. I could easily go more than 2 hours with this program. My children LOVED the stories more than they did the ones in Open Court. I loved it because I knew most of the stories already since I have them in my class library. There are a couple of great RS sites created by teachers.

http://classroom.jc-schools.net/waltkek/Kindergarten.html

http://www.scsk12.org/SCS/subject-areas/Kindergarten-Kove/Welcome.html

http://home.comcast.net/~tamipeak/

7. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I like RS. I don't feel it moves to fast at all. In fact, the last unit my kids were bored...it was review. All my kids learned to read and met benchmark on DIBELS with the exception of one who didn't meet benchmark because of time but could still read. The first 6 weeks is an overview of the alphabet so you do cover all 26 letters but then you focus on 1-3 letters a week. I like it...the kids need to know the other letters exist...you don't just teach in isolation. I think it's heavy on worksheets. It is scripted which is great for a sub. The writing prompts got to be redundant and I often didn't do them...we still did writing but minus the prompts! Like anything you have to make it your own. The jc website posted above is great and I use the powerpoints weekly!:)