Reading Street, anyone?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Mom2two, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 17, 2009

Does anyone out there use Reading Street? It will be my first year with it, and I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the "readers". Do you use ALL of them? What do your first couple of weeks look like with this series. Also, does anyone by chance have a list of the sight words that go along with the series? I don't have the list at home, and was wanting to order some postcards from Vista with all of them listed on the back.:thanks:

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 17, 2009

We just adopted Reading Street, but won't be using it until 2010-2011. We use HM and we have electronic access to the TEs. Is there some way you could access the site words from some type of interactive site?

4. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 17, 2009

That's a good idea, but I don't think I have myself completely set up yet. I should have just brought that stuff home with me!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

I use RS but teach first grade. It is very overwhelming, but once you get into it, you are going to love it!
    I kknow that the K set up is different from the first grade one, but I have learned to pick and choose from the main tested and teaching points....good luck!

6. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

We started using RS this past year. It was very overwhelming at first, but you really do like it at the end of the year. If you follow the program, you will use all of the decodables. The centers that are suggested in the book did not meet my students' needs so I had to change them accordingly. I would use some of the art center activities for an outside activity another time in the day. So you don't have to keep flipping back and forth, I would suggest to make copies of your small group pages from your teacher's edition and keep them whereever you do small groups.

7. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 18, 2009

Thanks! I appreciate all the little tips and tricks! I taught RS in 3rd grade last year, so I'm a little familiar, but all the readers seemed a little overwhelming to me in K. When I taught K in the past we always just taught 1 letter each week, and based all of our other subjects around the letter. Is this similar to what you find yourself doing with RS?