Reading Street anyone?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texteacher, Aug 26, 2010.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 26, 2010

So we just got the new adoption and it has soooo much stuff in it. I'm excited because we need it but it took me forever to plan for. I plan reading for my whole team and I'm supposed to somehow condense these lessons into something they can quickly read? It's insane! There is so much to do in this program. In the past, we've had one teacher plan a subject (6 teachers per grade level) and then share the lessons, but I'm thinking this program is so diverse and involved that everybody should plan reading on their own or else they'll be lost!

Does anybody else use Reading Street? What are your opinions of it. I teach 1st grade btw.

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

If writing plans for others, I would condense the lessons by focusing on the five components of reading. Make a spreadsheet with M-F along one side and the 5 components along the other. You might have to go to a page like this for each day, however. I would list resources needed, TG page number, interventions, and ways to differentiate for high ability/struggling students.

You also might want to check out the Reading Street resources on Waltke's Web - just google it. There are super ideas, but tons of them!

Personally, I like to plan my own lessons. That way I feel like I know what I am doing and WHY I am doing it - especially with reading and math.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

I really think its not a good idea to plan like that. I know that isn't exactly your question. But perhaps you can talk to you team about plannning "together" - someone else's plans do you no good. When planning together you all have input and get ideas from others. That makes everyone's plans better :)

5. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Aug 28, 2010

http://classroom.jc-schools.net/waltkek/
    There is no way to do it all the first year! Take your time adding things in as you go. I use the daily fix-it and daily question as my morning work. I put them together in a powerpoint and they answer in notebooks each morning. I love using the cd to listen to the story one day a week. Especially when the story is a play. I don't use the centers that they gave us, because I don't like the immense amount of prep work per week for some of them and the technology ones make me nervous. Many of the 2nd grade tech ones involve writing an email and sending it. We have our own generic centers that we use. We also don't have time for daily centers, due to specials. I pull my low group 3 days a week and my other groups 2 days a week (I have 26 kids, so 5 groups). I do whole group lessons on Monday and testing on Friday. The website pearsonsuccessnet.com has the lesson plans already on the website. You can click on the pieces that you want to include and print that for all of the teachers. Also, we send the kids to library with the reading workbooks once a week to work on the library and research skill page. That has been really helpful in really getting them to understand the skill that is being taught in the workbook. Before we did that, I didn't grade that page because the kids didn't understand card catelogue, thesaurus, and atlas. I don't have my lesson plans here at home or I would post an example for you. Contact your pearson representative. They gave us an example of what a day and what a week in this program should look like. Good luck! I love this program! We will probably be adopting the pearson math for next year!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

I do the fix-it and daily question as morning work as well. Their agenda is way ambitious, so choose what you know will best serve your students and their needs. Having said this, how can 1 teacher plan for all the other teachers when each class is so different and have so many different needs? I mean, I think it's great that you all are working together and helping, but realistically I don't know how one lesson will work for all those different learners, unless the teachers are then making their own changes.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

We're overwhelmed on our campus as well. We just had a meeting to discuss how to even use the basal (there are 3 different sets of leveled readers, then the hardcover books). I just went through to pick and choose what I could use-the big book lesson, the vocab, comprehension acitivities. My problem with it is it's geared way to low (in my opinion). We start out with teaching letters for the 1st 6 weeks of 1st Grade-that's our phonics base. And to top it off I have a GT class-so there's no way every component is going to work for them. I'm just adapting it a bit, supplementing and hopefully that will be OK with our head honchos.

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 28, 2010

The fact that it starts out low is why I really like it! I just tested my entire class and only one student knows all her letters. Not one of them can blend a word and many kids didn't know the word "I" so it will help in my class. Most of my kids seem to have forgotten English over the summer as well, so the ELL stuff is really going to come in handy. I can see how it would be bad for a GT class though. But you can use the leveled readers at least right? Or can you not just skip into Unit 1 of the program?

9. alschoolteacher

Aug 28, 2010

My school review that beginner unit in about 1-2 weeks, then moves on to the first unit. The kindergarten curriculum doesn't even spend 6 weeks on the letters. This program actually moves pretty quickly, but it builds nicely from year to year.

10. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Anyone having to use cscope and scott foresman reading street together????????????
    If so how do you plan?????
    We really need help......we're suppose to be using cscope scope and sequence and it doesn't match reading street.

11. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

What did you use for testing???
    We have only received Teacher editions and student texts. We have not gotten anything else. What other materials did any of you receive from Scott Foresman???

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  12. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 29, 2010

Well we just tested them on letter sounds and our district HFW word list for kinder and first grade. We just got all of the assessment handbooks and the rest of the program and it contains a baseline assessment for first grade that we'd like to administer.

13. alschoolteacher

Aug 29, 2010

We have spelling, grammar, and reading workbooks, big books, read aloud selections, vocabulary cards, retelling cards, decodable texts, leveled readers, graphic organizer book, baseline testing book, unit testing book, fresh reads (running record) book, leveled reader workbook/black line master, a set of cds with all of the stories, a computer program for making tests that I still haven't figured out 2 years later, and the teacher's additions for the workbooks. I'm sure there are more things, but that is all I can think of right now.

We test on the computer in 2nd grade. Our first graders start testing on paper, then switch mid-year when they are more comfortable with the computer. I love not having to grade all of those tests! It also gives a nice graph of the kid's progress and will assign activities for more work in areas that a child is weak.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

We were supposed to be able to do the testing online, but our coordinator never heard back. I hate testing all the benchmark tests. I was really hoping for access to the online site.

15. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 29, 2010

The online site isn't working for me right now. One of the teachers at my school said it won't be working for us until late September or early November.

16. alschoolteacher

Aug 30, 2010

Contact your rep! They have been great at helping us. You should have full access to the site.

17. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Thanks for the info!

Anybody using cscope too?

18. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 30, 2010

I don't even know who our rep is! My district only let one teacher per grade level at each school go to get trained on how to use the program so I don't really know much about it (I find it highly amusing that I'm the one planning all of the reading and I didn't even get trained on the program). I've just been reading the TE's and trying to figure everything out as best I can.