Reading Strategies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AnonyMS, Nov 21, 2010.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 21, 2010

Am interested in all the reading strategies there are out there... please share:

RULES - Read, Underline, L**, Eliminate Silly Answers, S** (I forgot the L and the S - will edit)

CAPS-DD ("Caps Double D") - Character, Author's Purpose, S**, Details, Definition

Stop & Jot (I hear this one from the kids a lot)

SQ3R - Survey, Question, Read, Review, R**

Hand Plan - I don't know what this one is

What else is out there?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2010

you mean like test strategies?

this is why I'm glad I don't teach upper grades. Sorry I can't help you. I hope somebody can!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2010

There a many reading strategies that are not acronyms. It sounds like you are looking for non-fiction reading or test taking strategies.

Many reading strategies are teaching the students to comprehend what they are reading. You may want to look into the Cafe book (there is a free list of strategies on their website) or Strategies that Work for some for comprehension.

5. AnonyMS

Nov 21, 2010

These are all strategies that my students know as "reading strategies" which they have been taught in their elementary schools. I teach middle school but it is only 6th grade. I am looking for anything called a "Reading Strategy" - acronym'd or not. I welcome test-taking strategies as well.

Would the Cafe book be beneficial to me as a middle school teacher? I have heard about it but have not read it.

6. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 21, 2010

The best one I have seen for non-fiction is "BIG FOX"

B-bold words (write down any found in the passage)
    I- italics or important words (names of people, places, dates)
    G- graphics (tell about pictures, charts, etc)
    F- Facts. Here they box the paragraphs and write a fact sentence from each one that tells the main idea
    O- Opinion. If there is none in the story, they write their own that relates to the topic.
    X- X marks the spot.. they put an X next to the paragraph or two that they think is most important.

My third graders picked up on this quickly. My P requires that they write summaries on reading tests, mainly to slow them down. They struggle the most with the main idea sentences, but improve a lot as the year goes on.

7. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Nov 21, 2010

I have been downloading and using powerpoint presentations of reading strategies from Emily Kissner at Teachers Pay Teachers. She has ALOT of free downloads and they are wonderful. Hope they may be helpful to you, as well. :)

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Emily-Kissner

Scroll down...middle towards bottom of the list are her free ones. There are several pages of them. :) She is amazingly generous, and she has a great blog, as well. :angel:

http://emilykissner.blogspot.com

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Nov 21, 2010

Thanks for the great tool...can't wait to give it a try! :)

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2010

I'm in sixth grade. I have the CAFE list. I did buy the book and it explained some new ideas to me (but as I have been teaching reading strategies awhile, it was little new information). I use the list with my students. We focus mostly on the comprehension and expanding vocabulary sections. As many of them have seen the list before it is very useful.

Some of my students need to work on accuracy and fluency but not as many as in the other areas.

10. AnonyMS

Nov 22, 2010

I get most of my books from PBS (PaperBackSwap) and am on the list for The CAFE book but I am about the 50th person in line so I won't be getting it anytime soon.

Mopare - do you teach self-contained or departmental? I teach Reading only; would love to share ideas.