Reading Series

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Deb06, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Hello,

Just out of curiousity, what reading series are you using in your classroom? Also, does your school system use the Reading First program?

I just got my book today and will be using Scott Foresman. The school is a Reading First school which I have some experience with. Tomorrow all of the K-3 teachers will be going to a Reading First conference which I'm looking forward to.

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Our county adopted Scott Foresman (Georgia edition). It's good, but our focus isn't really the series or program. As long as we implement balanced literacy to teach the county curriculum no one cares which materials we use.

4. Froggie

Froggie Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Hullo!

I've just moved to Arizona and taken a third grade class in a Charter school. We're also doing Reading First, but our curriculum is based on the Houghton-Mifflin reading program.

What year of Reading First is your school in, Deb06? We're on our 2nd (though this is my first year with it). Any suggestions for a newbie?

5. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Froggie,

I am unsure what year of Reading First my school is in. I just recently got hired, so I'm not positive. When I did my student teaching I used the Houghton-Mifflin series with Reading First. I found the text book to be very detailed and helpful. I know most people either love Reading First or hate it, but when using Houghton-Mifflin I thought it was great! Hopefully Scott Foresman will be just as thorough.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

My district uses OCR (Open Court Reading).

7. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

our district uses MONDO and SFA depending on what schoool you are at...my school use to use SFA but we are using MONDO this year K-3

8. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

We are a Reading First School and we also use Scott Foresman. I like most of it. I teach first grade, though. I am also in Ohio. Only our reading first coaches and administrators are going to that conference.

9. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

We use Houghton-Mifflin for Reading. We were a Reading First school for 4 years. We lost our funding because they didn't feel like our kids were scoring high enough on the tests. We are in a very poor area and I think they expected way too much of our students. We made gains every year, but not enough for them. It doesn't hurt my feelings though, because I didn't like Reading First at all.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2007

We use the Rigby guided reading program. We are not a Reading First school.

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

When supplementing your reading program (like OCR) with guided reading and reading workshop, how do you schedule your reading block so you fit everything in?