Reading Scores

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Mar 26, 2009.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Mar 26, 2009

I recently gave the STAR test to my (1st grade) students. The STAR test tests their reading level. Most of my students scored on a 2nd-3rd grade level. I will retest them in May and their scores should have come up by then. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to push these students further? They have gone WAY above what was expected of them, however, they have not ALL done that well. I was kinda thinking of getting some old 3rd grade reading books and 2nd grade reading books and group them based on their scores and for 30-45 minutes each day have them read those books to me and do different advanced reading activities with them. I am blessed to have an assistant and a foster grandmother- so I can have a group, my assistant have a group, and my foster grandma have a group-------does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2009

I'm not really familiar with the STAR tests...does it just look at fluency or fluency and comprehension? And does it measure their independent level or their instructional level?

Depending on the answers to the above questions, I would do a few things... work on comprehension skills and higher order thinking skills with instructional level books; word work with challenging words to help them with decoding in higher level books; lots of retelling activities; reading response journals (the best you can with them).

I don't know if I'd move them right up to 3rd grade level books...yes they may be close to that level, but some of those books may not be as appropriate for 1st graders. Also, the comprehension needed is a lot different from a 1st grade book. I'd start with 2nd grade level books and move from there. Some groups may move faster than others.

Also, check out websites like readinga-z.com to give the kids copies of leveled readers to practice at home. You need a subscription, but its a great site!! And the books come with worksheets on comprehension and word work too!

4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Mar 28, 2009

I have always wondered about the STAR tests for reading and math, just how accurate they are and all. Our Title program uses them to test in the fall and the spring. The test results almost always show our Title kids as testing two to three grade levels above where they are....some even more!

Was just wondering, too, just what they exactly measure, and just how accurate they are? :)

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

I don't think they are very accurate because I sat there with my students as they tested and some just hit a button and did ok..but i am sure they wont hit the same button next go round......the ones of mine that did really well..really tried on the test and understood what they chose for an answer...so..i don't know....?