reading schedule

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by fla_teacher, Aug 25, 2007.

1. fla_teacher

fla_teacher New Member

Aug 25, 2007

Does anyone use Harcourt Trophies (or any other basal)? If so, what do you do during whole group? Can someone share their schedule for the day and possibly the week? (like which day to read the story, which day you do the focus skill , etc) I feel it is so boring. After whole group I transistion into small reading groups with a group with me, one at their seats, and one at workstations (we're required to do this). We have 90 uniterrupted min. Thanks.

3. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I wish I could help. I just got my Trophies and am having a hard time figuring it out. I doesn't seem to have a good flow. I'm trying to figure out how to work in reading groups too. Anyone have good ideas?

4. Violet

Violet Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I have never used that particular series but I have used basal readers before. My schedule was something like this:

Monday- Go over vocabulary words from the story
    - Read the story (sometimes round robin, teacher read aloud, echo reading, or shared reading)
    -I would also ask comprehension questions & have the kids predict

Tuesday- skill practice

Wednesday- Reread the story (groups or buddies)
    -then retell using plot chart, web, etc

Thursday- skill practice

Friday- skill practice

On days when we didn't read the story I would do activities based on the workbook pages that we needed to do for the story. Many times I would use a passage from the story to teach a skill. I would also incorporate other read aloud books to review a concept. I knew another teacher who gave the kids a quiz on Friday based on the story read that week. Hope this helps.

5. andybugg2000

andybugg2000 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Monday- we build background knowledge by going over transparencies, doing a picture walk, reading the think and respond questions, and discussing the vocabulary and spelling words.
    Tuesday- We read the story together (whole group) where I "pick a stick" at random. I also ask comprehension ?'s along the way.
    Wednesday-We listen to the story whole group and then split into reading groups to complete leveled readers and spelling WB pages.
    Thursday- We pair-read the story and complete language assignments.
    Friday- Is Test day, Often I have an activity related to the story or sometimes I give extended center time.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

Don't the kids get bored reading the story so many times?

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 26, 2007

We are a Four Blocks District. We read the story three times, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. We do a lot of vocabulary development and working on graphic organizers.

On Thursday we test, and on Friday do an activity with a book by the same author or the same theme. Our guided reading is about thirty minutes and we do segments of Working With Words, Self Selected Reading, and Writing.

We have more of an anthology of stories rather than a basal, and went to Four Blocks so we could use our basal and still incorporate more current research into our instruction.