Reading Response, word study, journals,.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 19, 2013

I've decided the best route to go for me will be to have binders for the students to track things like reading response, stop to jot, I 'wonder' questions, etc. I'm also going to use spiral notebooks for word study. I'm wondering what else may be a good idea to include. For instance, should I still have folder for each student for work to be turn in/return?

What are some practices that have worked for you? What are some suggestions in reference to organizing the reading response journal? What have you set up regarding word study? Appreciate your feedback.

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

Bumping up.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 20, 2013

I don't have any answers for you, because this has been the one thing that I just cannot decide on! I just don't know the most effective and easiest answer.

I think I'm going to use a regular spiral notebook for a word study book, where students will record their daily word work activities that they do with their spelling words (Words Their Way). I'm taking them right from the Words Their Way book, which suggests different activities and ways to sort the words.

Then I think I'll just use a composition book as a reading response journal. They'll write a letter to me every day, focusing on a certain response and/or strategy. Last year I would print out weekly prompts (ex: Tell me two things you learned from your book) and have them available for students to refer to. I'm considering having them glue them in their books this year, but I don't want to worry about pages sticking together.

I would like to collect both notebooks daily, and just read them over quickly. I don't know if this is a realistic expectation, though.

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

Yes I'm trying to at least have a basic structure in place. I haven't taught ELA in a few years and so I'm thinking about how to have students set this up. The goal being that it will stay organize and everything will be in one place.

Just looking for ideas to make it better effective.