reading response options?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs_B, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I have done the reading response letters and found them time consuming to respond to and was frustrated by the lack of quality comments. Does anyone have something else they do that they would be willing to share? I taught 4th last year and I'm moving to 3rd this year.
    Thanks!

3. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I'm curious to read other ideas on this thread as well! I also did reading response letters (one half of the class each week) and it was so overwhelming that I pretty much gave it up about halfway through the year.

This year I thought I would try one letter a month. I'm not sure if I want to stagger their due dates or just collect them all at once. I'm leaning towards all at once - like a bandaid - just rip it off and get them all done with at once instead of spreading it out over the month. I don't know for certain.

The other thing that I'm doing this year is a partner pair share. Every Friday, students will work with a partner to answer a posted question about their independent reading. They have to write their response and answer some questions about their partner's response in a booklet thing. I like that they are discussing their book, but not all with me at the same time LOL

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

I like the partner share idea, hawkteacher! I'm trying to decide how to do my Reading Response Journals as well and may incorporate this idea.

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I customize my RR to each novel we read; I've found that I don't get good responses otherwise. So if we read The Lightning Thief, I'll take questions from the Teacher Discussion Guide and those are their reading responses; or they'll summarize a chapter in the form of a newspaper article, or whatever's appropriate for the book. Unless it's something big (like the summary article, which I may do 1-2 times per novel), my RR are things they can answer in 10-12 minutes after we do the read aloud. If I also want to check understanding, I may throw in easy questions and pause in the middle of reading so they can write down the answers and use them as a guide for more complex questions after reading.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I do what I call IRRJ - Independent Reading Response Journals. My students have a list of prompts that they select from for writing when they finish a book. Each prompt is worth 3 points. They may write on up to 4 prompts per book. Grades are based upon the total number of points they earn each quarter. (The points needed for any grade go up as the year progresses.)

The responses are written in their journals (I'm using spiral notebooks) and turned in at the end of the quarter. I read through them all and make comments.

The books are self-selected and cannot be anything that I have assigned to them in class.

7. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I also found the response letters to be frustrating, not to mention that my students started getting very bored with them.

This year, I have decided to do them once a month. For the weeks when they do not have to turn in a letter, students will work on a independent reading activity. I found a book for 2nd - 4th grade that has independent reading activities. The book suggests completing one activity after the student finishes their independent reading book, but I am going to be handing out one activity a week. I forgot the title of the book (it's at school), if anyone is interested I will definitely post it later!

I am excited about these activities and am sure the students will enjoy the variety from week to week!

8. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Please do post the title of the book when you get a chance! Thanks!

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I love these ideas!!! I am also planning to have the kids find examples of the concept we are covering in reading (ie - synonyms, theme, plot, etc.) in the books they are reading for pleasure and write about it. If they don't have an example, then they will have a writing prompt based on something from their book. I'm still figuring all of this out, but that's what I'm planning on right now.

10. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I went into school today and found the book I am going to use. It's by scholastic and the title is Instant Independent Reading Response Activities.

Like I said, I'm planning on having my students complete one a week. I'm thinking about having all of them due on Friday. In addition to the activity, students will also be writing a short response to the Question of the Week, which will be strategy based.

I hope this helps!