Reading Response Ideas for 1st Grade??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mauro227, Oct 14, 2007.

1. mauro227

mauro227 New Member

Oct 14, 2007

Hi,

This is my first year teaching first grade, and I've been asked to have my students write 2 reading responses in notebooks for homework each week. I've gone over basics like drawing your favorite character or writing about your favorite part, and I need more ideas on what to write about. Most of my students have minimal writing skills and are leveled at B-E reading levels. Any ideas for me to use??

Thanks!
    Lauren

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 14, 2007

There is an independent reading contract book by scholastic. They have students complete activities such as write fantastic words from the book or write words that they didn't know.

I have my students complete comprehension organizers.
    -making connections (they love the most!)... asking questions... visualizing....

Also if reading expository texts... I have them write and/or illustrate 1-2 facts from the book.

You could focus on main idea/ theme/ central idea. (We are trying to use all terms because all have been displayed on assessment tests) Have students write what they think it is.

You could have them write a letter to a character in the book.

You can have them write a book review or recommendation.
    I really did did not like ________________________ written by __________________ because ______________________.

Have them describe the characteristics of a character. (This will take some prompting) Even draw pictures of things they think the character would like.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2007

I think the book you mentioned is the same book I posted. I love it too!

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I tried this last year and even though I teach gifted 1st graders who are all reading above 2nd grade level they hated it and so did the parents after a few months of it. I didn't do it this year. But I occasionally have them write out a question they had with the book or a connection they had to their own life, but only occasionally. I think 6 year olds may not be the best age developmentally to be doing written summaries or even 2 sentence summaries about books right off the bat, maybe after December?

7. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 14, 2007

It is! I checked out your links! Only two of my students are capable enough of using it now! Maybe more by the end of the year! :)