Reading Recovery

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shirld, Nov 21, 2009.

1. shirld

shirld Rookie

Nov 21, 2009

Hi, is there anyone here that teaches Reading Recovery. I've accepted a job for next year (starting January in Australia) that is 0.5 Reading Recover. I've never taught it before, but I've read a heap of stuff on the internet and will get training with the job. But want to know from people that teach it what they think of it.

Thanks

3. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 22, 2009

I do not have the "specific" reading recovery training but something for special education teacher that was highly bases on it.

4. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 22, 2009

We used to have this program in my school before it became a victim of budget cuts. Our reading recovery teachers did nothing but that. I'm pretty sure they underwent a lot of training. I don't see how you could be ready to use RR by Jan.

5. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 22, 2009

I am so glad that Teach2read10 commented. I meant to write more.

I love the concept of reading recovery. We have it at our school and it works for many students. (would be wonderful if every student could have it)

The training for it here in Michigan is very intense and very time consuming. (Great and very useful overall for all students :) ) I really enjoyed learning.

We use Marie Clay's assessment information. The actual lesson for the student is 10 minutes of reading a familar (already read book) Reading the previous days book and teacher taking a running record and deciding what the teaching point is for the day. New book introduction and reading. (15 minutes) Word work (teaching point) and 10 minutes of shared pen.

We use Rigby books for teaching.

I would suggest researching magnetic letters, running records and anything by Marie Clay.

6. lv2read

lv2read Rookie

Nov 22, 2009

I've been trained in Early Reading Intervention, which is modeled on RR. In my school, we targeted at risk Grade 2 students. I liked the program very much for that age level.

Until this school year, we also had a trained RR teacher who worked with at risk Grade One students. Again, I think it was beneficial, because any kind of intervention is beneficial to children, but there were drawbacks.

RR is not a cost effective program to run. A RR teacher would earn a regular salary but would work with a limited number of children. This can be an issue for School Districts or school facing budget difficulties.

As a Grade One teacher, I found myself frustrated by the need to produce candidates for RR early in the school year, before I had had a chance to really get to know the kids and to see what their strengths and needs were. Kids ended up being selected based on the results of assessment tests administered in the first few weeks of school. On at least 2 or 3 occasions, kids went into the program who either turned out not to have needed it, or whose academic issues could not be helped by RR. I asked many times if needy Grade 2 students couldn't be selected for the first session, and then Grade 1 kids selected later in the year once I had a handle on who actually needed help, but was always told that it "isn't done that way".

Our school has changed this year from RR to Leveled Literacy Intervention. The lesson runs in a similar fashion to RR, but targets 3 children at a time, and Grade 2 children are being worked with first. The (former) RR teacher likes it, the Grade 2 teacher is happy her kids are receiving help, and I'm happy that later in the year I'll know who needs that extra boost.

Having said that, good luck with your training. I do think that in spite of my concerns RR is a good program, and any extra help we can give to at risk kids is worth the time.

7. shirld

shirld Rookie

Nov 23, 2009

I will start getting the training in January. The position is only 0.5 Reading Recovery and given that there are 70 students in the school from Kindergarten to year 7 (which covers 9 years of schooling in Western Australia there will be very few who are actually in the program). I have used all the Marie Clay tests before in another school that is in the region (that is only a mere 900km away) and the training includes travelling to courses 11 times over the school year (and by travelling I mean flying 1,100km each time for the training) as it is a small school in a regional area of Western Australia.

8. shirld

shirld Rookie

Nov 23, 2009

In Western Australia grade one students have already completed a full year of school (transition) and many have completed kindergarten which is normall 4 mornings a week and in regional and remote areas is usually held at the school, so the children that will be placed into RR will be ones that have already been at school for quite a while so the teacher already knows them quite well and knows their results - so they aren't basing it on the first few weeks of school.

In regards to the position and costing it is only 0.5 RR, the other parts of the job are made up from 0.3 working with students at risk in grades 4 and 6 and then 0.2 working in each class teaching either Art or SOSE (Studies of Society and Environment.... basically Social Studies is I think the term used by those in America).