Reading Recovery

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach1st, Aug 7, 2007.

1. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Does anyone have reading recovery in their school district? If so, does anyone have any advice for what to do while those students are gone? I will be doing centers for a block of the time, but I am not able to do it for the entire time because of the way my schedule pans out. My reading recovery students will miss some instruction, should I make them redo or makeup the work? I have a basal reader; therefore, One concept is covered weekly. The reading recovery students will only miss one instruction on that concept weekly. HELP!

3. Happy Lady

Happy Lady Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

We do. Since the children are reading while they are out, I try to have sustained silent reading. My students are out during more than one block, so I do Writer's Workshop or the review board for math. I hate for them to miss anything but they make so much progress in Reading Recovery that it is worth it!

4. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I really like the reading recovery program!The children make alot of progress. However, my reading recovery teacher will be pulling them out from 8-10:15 in the morning and that is alot of time to not teach anything. Do you have any advice?

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I too LOVE the reading recovery program. I have seen it do SOOOOOO much for several of my students. Our reading recovery teacher tries to vary what time she picks the students up so that they aren't missing the SAME thing EVERY day. If it's during a writing time, I often let the RR teacher know what we're writing about (they do do a piece of writing while in RR), usually it was during centers. So that wasn't a problem. Sometimes it was during Math which was really hard - even if it was just one day a week. Luckily, I had an Ed. Tech. in the room for Math that could help me catch the student up either when the student came back or the next day. I also found it worked well for me to pull the student aside during morning work time, quiet time, or any free time that student may have to catch up some work that was missed. (I never took away recess, choice time, or sent work home.) We all seemed to manage somehow...

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Ilovefirst,

Thank you soooo much! I have debated for several days on how to set up my schedule. It makes me feel better that someone else has the same issue, but it doesn't make it any easier. Our reading recovery teacher is going to rotate the schedule where the students will not miss out on the same things everyday. My dilema is knowing what they should makeup because I do not feel right sending home the work that I did not give that student direction on. Does the students ever seem to fall behind because of the instruction they miss?

7. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I think reading recovery is a fantastic program! The results for some of my students have been increddible. I usually didn't have the child make up what they had missed. I didn't think it was fair to give them extra work/homework, especially because the students in the program found school work challenging and often needed one on one support. I kept going with my normal classroom activities when my kids were pulled out, but I tried to change my schedule around a little on the days if they were missing something I considered to be reallyl important. The reading recovery teacher also tried to be flexible enough to change her schedule around.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 7, 2007

When I was assisting with RR, we sent students with (some RR) homework anyway, so even if they miss out on some classroom work, they're doing a fair share on their own! The one-on-one time they have with a RR instructor is much more productive for them than most of what they would accomplish in that amount of time in the classroom.

Since the time for RR ranges over a broad time, you might need to somehow have a checklist or roster page to keep track of who is missing what, since it's likely there may be times when what is missed will need to be made up or at least explained to the student. (I'm thinking about writing projects that will be ongoing or something like that.)

9. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I think I would want RR at the same time everyday, so you won't have to worry about your schedule. When my RR students are out we do Accelerated Reader (AR) that way I also have a smaller group to work with and I try to listen to everyone read.

10. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

We have the AR program as well. In the past the first grade students are not on the program until November or December. Are your students on the AR program right away?