reading out loud to class

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by tinadog, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Jan 14, 2008

Is it true that a book a teacher reads out loud should be several grade levels ahead of the average independent reading level in the class?

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jan 14, 2008

I've never heard that! In fact, I read a picture book aloud to my 5th graders everyday...Usually I pick books that have strong themes and lend themselves to in-depth discussions. (Memory String, Ticky-Tacky-Doll, The Harmonica, Sister Anne's Hands, etc...)

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 14, 2008

It should be above the average independent level so that you're exposing them to texts they can't really access on their own just yet. Reading aloud some books (including picture books) from time to time that are below their reading levels is fine, though. Not only that, but not all picture books are low reading levels. I have a few in my classroom that are GR levels R, S, and T.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

My fifth grade teacher read us Strawberry Girl and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I remember the books she read, can you tell I loved her?

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 14, 2008

Well, I think it is more that they can be and at least some of the books should be. Sometimes your goal is to lead them to good authors and/or series that they will then read themselves. A good picture book can be read occasionally with any age :2up:

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jan 16, 2008

In my summer reading academy they said that best practices state that read alouds should be 1-2 yrs above grade level... however, they also did several picture books to model read alouds, so i think they were referring to chapter books.

8. ionateacher

ionateacher Rookie

Jan 17, 2008

in the third grade class, we read "Theres a boy in the girls bathroom" which is a 5th grade book. I think its beneficial to read allowed books that are a few levels up.

-RC

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 17, 2008

And don't forget that in any one classroom, there are all different reading levels to begin with.

10. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 18, 2008

I was thinking exactly that, Upsadaisy - last year my grade ranged from late grade 1 level to year 9 in reading ability. I just select novels that I like, that I think the kids will like, that I think the kids may not read themselves, and if possible I like them to tie to our theme, but sometimes they don't and it doesn't matter. My kids always love being read to, and it's a great way to cool down and calm the grade when they come in from lunch on a hot day.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2008

I agree totally.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 18, 2008

Another thing to remember is that student's independent reading level is much different than their listening level. Students usually have a higher listening vocabulary, particularly if you are doing any think alouds that will help trigger prior knowledge. Good for you for reading aloud to your kids!!