Reading Notebooks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

If you are doing/have done Reading Workshop and use a Reading Notebook, how do you grade the notebook? Alot of what is included is written between the student and teacher. Do you grade it at all? Do you use it as a participation grade? Make a rubric? A checklist? I have, in my mind, an idea of how I want to do this, but would like to hear what you do.

3. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 16, 2007

If you have access to Mosaic of Thought, they had some good tips on assessing students' entries in reading notebooks. I can't quote the page numbers b/c the book is in my classroom.

4. Maestra Ita

Maestra Ita Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Hi, In Puerto Rico we only use Notebooks, you grade the homeworks and also the notebook it self. You check the notebook for the dates, the information, if its clean and if it has everything on it.
    The homework you check everyday, what you do is to give them points and at the end you add them to have a grade. I want to know how do you do it because I want to change this to have a binder to send home with just the homeworks, it will be essayer for me just to have a paper for each student than to have a notebook for so many students.
    How do you do it? Will it work? I just take the homework everyday and put it in a different binder to stay in school and at the end of the year have that binder and give it a grade? Sorry for my English...Thank you!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

When I use Readers' Workshop notebooks I used a rubric with the kids in order to grade them. Often, after modeling we would make a quick rubric together about what a check plus would look like, what a check would look like, and what a check minus would look like etc. Because CT has the CMT's, I would also use the same rubric that the state uses (0,1,2...) with the kids. Often I would do the same type of thing by modeling for them and then using the rubric to grade their entries. Some of them I didn't grade and others I did. I also would have the kids grade their own entries sometimes in order to see where they think their entry would fall on the scale. It worked well and the children were always very honest. By the end of the year, I also looked for a variety of different types of entries and more at the quality of their thinking rather than the writing if that makes sense. :)

6. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Are Readers' Workshop notebooks and Readers' Workshop response journal the same thing?

Sharon Taberski's ON SOLID GROUND has ideas for response journals and samples of children's work.

Does anyone know of a website or book other than MOSAIC OF THOUGHT or Taberski's book that talks in-depth about using response journals?

Thanks.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I think of the Readers' Notebook and Response Journal as the same/or similar because the kids are responding to what they are reading in a variety of ways. I haven't come across any great material on response journals yet. Let me know if you do :)

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

In my Reader's Notebook, there is a section for response. It is one in the same in our program.