reading nook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mandabee, Jul 3, 2009.

1. mandabee

mandabee Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Does anyone have a reading nook in their room? I am looking for an inexpensive way to create one!

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

I don't have one place that is a reading nook. My students found their own "nooks" wherever they wanted in the classroom. My library, however, had several cozy seats to sit in that we rotated every week.

4. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

I use a corner of my room and make "walls" with book shelves/cubbies already in my room. Put some carpet down (go to a locally owned carpet store/outlet tell them you are a teacher and was wondering if they have any defective area rugs they would give you.) I got a beautiful round rug FREE and you can't even tell anything is wrong with it. Then buy a few bean bag chairs or big pillows to throw on the floor.

5. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 3, 2009

carpets, chair, ...

I have a small carpet, beanbags, pillows, and a chair that I found at a garage sale. The beanbags and pillows allow the kids to move around the room. If you have space, creating a small area might be a good idea. You could try a carpet store for remnants or Wal-Mart for an inexpensive area rug.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 3, 2009

I don't have a lot of space, so I have to be a little creative. I've done the beach umbrella with little beach chairs, a small turtle shaped sandbox, director's chairs all just in front of their little library bookshelves. My Target had very small rugs, almost the size of bathmats in their Dollar Spot - boat, turtle, etc.

I saw a pic in a training once where the teacher used a bathtub :eek:hmy:- not sure how they got that in there!

7. myangel6

myangel6 Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I have a floor mat in my library area that I got at BJ's for about 20 dollars. It is one of those like they sell for working in a garage, tiles of rubber mat that go together like a puzzle. But instead of the black ones, mine are primary colors. Also, last summer at Target I got mini round slingback chairs for 10 bucks apiece.

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 8, 2009

I have bought small, cute rugs at Family Dollar along with Frog chairs to go with my theme. (Rugs and chairs both about $8 each)

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

I remember seeing that pic too! :)

I have a small corner where my library is in my class. I'm putting two big floor pillows and am searching for a small rug to add there too.

10. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

I buy the armless camping chairs from Target, and they are only 5 dollars a piece. The kids love them. I also have some rugs I place in various parts of the room. I have a futon and a bunch of floor pillows.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

I got some free wingback chairs from Freecycle-you can also check Craigslist. I got a free oriental rug as well, and turned it into Hogwarts. I had some candlesticks, a small sidetable, a stone bust, etc. All free.

[​IMG]

You can kind of see it in the back of this picture, too:

[​IMG]

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

I did a camping theme and used a tent, sleeping bags and pillows. That was my most favorite cozy reading situation. The kids would spread out so it wasn't so much of a "nook" but everyone loved it.[​IMG]

13. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I brought a couple of plastic tubs at Wal-Mart and I put a small throw pillow in it the kids love sitting in them.