"Reading Naturally" program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissWull, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 30, 2008

Has anyone had personal experience using this program?

I was recently hired as an Instructional Assistant at an elementary school...for 45 minutes, 4 days a week I work with a group of 4 students with this program. Unfortunately, the person who implemented the program no longer works at the school...but this one teacher requested that I use it. I've basically had to read the manual up to this point, I think I get it for the most part but have a few questions here and there.

I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks!! :)

3. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Nov 1, 2008

During my student teaching days, my master teacher used Read Naturally. It was 4th grade and he used it everyday. I'm not a fan of using it more than 3 days a week. From the classroom I was in, it was overused as you could see excitement leave students when they heard we were doing Read Naturally again and again. On a side note, fluency scores did improve in the school district. Let me know what specific questions you have.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 1, 2008

Our reading tutor uses it, but the classroom teachers have not seen the program. The tutor likes it. If you have questions, I may be able to get answers from her.

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Nov 2, 2008

i have been recruited to do this once a week with 5 students. the point of it is to keep them reading while they are doing it. with 5 students needing to do cold and hot reads with you, it's near impossible to keep them all reading. right now, the way i feel about it...it is a big disorganized mess at my school and i don't think it's doing much for the kids. i'm sure if it were used one on one or even two on one it would be great. but with 5 kids...it's tough to manage.

good luck

LC

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

Well now I only do it 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day...but I still have the 4 students. Yes, it is difficult to manage even with only that small amount of students. I agree with you LC--I think it would be ideal to use with 1 or 2 students at most.

I have the students start a cold read with me, then they move on to the tape, then practicing with a timer, answering the questions, then back to me for the final read, or hot read.

I never have time to monitor the kids because I'm constantly doing hot or cold reads with the kids. I've had 2 kids complete hot reads...and one made a lot of progress, but the other only advanced by a few words from the cold read.

I guess my biggest question is when they should advance to the next story? What types of goals do I set for them?

7. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Nov 7, 2008

When I did read naturally, it was done whole class. 30 4th graders. Students did a 1 min cold read. Then I modeled reading the passage. Then students in pairs, did 1 min hot read, listening to their partner for accuracy. After doing this, the students would calculate words read per minute. They would then graph their results so they could see the progress they were making. Each lesson was another story.

8. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Nov 8, 2008

well, our literacy coach set the goals for the group. then when they meet or exceed that goal they move to the next story. honestly, i think she set them too low. they reach their goal right away a lot of the time. i don't know...it just seems like a huge waste of time for the kids. but then again...i am a pessimist sometimes.

LC