Reading Material 3rd,4th, 5th....book questions.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KDS, Oct 15, 2007.

1. KDS

KDS Companion

Oct 15, 2007

I have ordered books so i can give out at schools. We had/have a TON for younger kids (under 8) but i would like to work with 3-5 grades. I have the following. Can you tell me if they are above or below level? Or who might be interested in them?

Cam Jensen and the Snowy Day Mystery

Keeker and the Sneaky Pony

Babymouse: Queen of the world
    (i totally LOVE LOVE LOVE this series...but would boys read?)

Katie Kazoo Switcheroo

Magic Tree House #26: Good Morning Gorillas

They are all chapter books, but i want to get them excited about reading. yes, i know they are a bit girl oriented. But when they are on sale from scholastic for 95 cents a book...ya buy as many as you can and go from there.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Dawn:D

3. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

Most Scholastic books are listed with a level on their website. I would try searching there to find the level.

4. KDS

KDS Companion

Oct 16, 2007

i was actually wanting teacher opinion...i have what scholastic etc says...but i would just love some real world input

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 16, 2007

Those seem fine for 3rd (Katie Kazoo, Baby Mouse maybe 4th.) Boys like Magic Tree house. I think those are beginning third grade though. The Keeker book looks quite young, maybe 2nd grade. I looked on Amazon and it said it was good for reluctant readers.

Here is the thing- what kids read at which grade really depend on the school in general. Are the kids doing well, excelling, struggling? What's the population like? You need to talk to the teachers at the school. What levels are the kids reading? When I taught in the inner city, I had many 4th graders reading at a level L, which is 2nd or 3rd grade here. My highest readers at years end were reading at a P, which is late 3rd/mid-fourth here. So everyone was basically a year lower than what scholastic says is grade level. They came into the school year reading one levels I-M, so it was very low, all in all for 4th graders.

You need to look in the Arrow catalogue for books for older kids. Scary Stories to tell in the dark is 99 cents right now, and my kids LOVE those books. Really, just look for books that say 4-6 on them. Andrew Clements, Judy Blume (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing) Matt Christopher, Gary Paulson, Dav Pilkey, Daniel Pinkwater, and lots of others all write books that boys love. My boys like the Bunnicula books a lot, anything funny and scary. Also for older boys or strong readers, they like Artemis Fowl, The Warriors (about cats), Harry Potter, Eragon, etc. Science Fiction and Fantasy are also popular with boys-- also a lot of NON-FICTION is great. There are lots of boys who hate fiction, but give them a good book on hurricanes or the Titanic and they are hooked. My girls like the Animal Ark and Fairy Realm books.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 16, 2007

My thoughts, exactly. Books for 5th are much different than books for 3rd.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 16, 2007

Still, 5th gets lumped into either the 3-5 grouping or the 5-7/8 which I don't understand at all, but for many years we were. I honestly think a 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 grouping system would make much more sense, but that is not what the thread is about.

Fifth grade in my experience has always been a time when my students needed to be pushed away from the Magic Treehouse and Junie B. Jones books. I don't understand why they refuse to move on. I understand holding certain books dear and hanging on to them like old friends, but to have no desire at all to look for stories more interesting baffles me. If you are looking for 5th grade titles, the safest bet is to look for books ranked in the mid to upper 4th grade levels through mid 6th. You do get the occasional student who has been reading since the day they were born (or so they seem) and really do want to read The Westing Game or Brian's Song. Truely though, adventure books, science fiction/classic fantasy, and sports are what most boys turn to. Girls like animal stories, friendship stories, and such. The boys also seem to love any non-fiction book with small chunks of obscure or bizarre facts-think Guiness book of World Records, DK Eyewitness books, wacky laws, etc.

8. KDS

KDS Companion

Oct 16, 2007

THANKS! This is exactally the input i am looking for. And i totally agree...3rd grade is so very different from 5th grade! So i am trying to get books for all levels so i can reach a broader range of students (i work at the local PBS station and i get to go out to schools and give workshops to teachers, parents and/or students).

i am currently reading Keeker to my Kinder son...he likes it...but he does think it is a bit for a girl...LOL...on the other hand, we read Babymouse this summer and he adored it!

any other suggestions are 100% appreciated!

9. cubfan

cubfan Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

I have a 5th grade boy who is not a fan of reading. The only books I can get him to read are "Series of Unfortunate Events" and the Matthew Christopher books. Good Luck!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

11. KDS

KDS Companion

Oct 18, 2007

and then of course when i went to teach the classes today, things got all mixed up and 5th grade got "how the camel got his hump", 3rd got 1/2 Cam Jansen and 1/2 a holloween riddle book, then 4th grade got Katie Kazoo...dont ask how it got confused...i dont know that i get it...

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 18, 2007

I really haven't had any trouble with 5th graders wanting to read below level, except for some who loved animals and still loved the Animals Ark series. I think one key is to have an extensive library in your room. Finding the time in the schedule for the kids to browse and discover new books is the hard part!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 18, 2007

Very true. In the past 10 or 15 years a huge number of wonderful, quality picture books have come on the market that are appropriate for upper grades. Even if the reading level seems below grade level, you can often help the students read more deeply. The camel story would have been a good introduction to folklore or mythology. I use picture books all the time in classes.

14. KDS

KDS Companion

Oct 19, 2007

good...the lesson i taught/introduced was about how animals adapt to certain areas...and one of the teachers said she does that in science, so it will work out

i also have one of the Amazing Days of Abby Hayes...i like what i have read, but it might be too girl oriented

could use some insight into gender differences or does that even matter?

(i taught HS for a really long time, so this part of my job is a bit new...thanks for all the help)