Reading Mastery

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by christi1273, Jun 17, 2008.

1. christi1273

christi1273 Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

I was wondering if any other schools use Reading Mastery?? How do you feel about it?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 17, 2008

Our school uses it for RSP students and summer school intervention only. I haven't had any experience with it myself, sorry!

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2008

RM is part of Siegfried Engelmann's Direct Instruction program. I believe it requires some training to be proficient in using it, so hopefully they will give this to you.

It is scripted -- something which some teachers don't like. There's a video of the Gering school district in Wisconsin using it, however (google for their school district, the video's in a link), and they seem to like it fine. They've had a lot of success with it, going from 35% of their students at grade-level reading to around 80%.

I've used "How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons", which is essentially a home book based on the same ideas, with my five-year old son, and had some success despite not being able to devote nearly as much time to it as I should.

Link to video http://www.nifdi.org/gering_video.html

5. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

My school uses Reading Mastery Plus as the core reading curriculum. At first I wasn't so sure about the whole direct instruction thing but now I LOVE it! The program focuses on crucial reading skills such as vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. My students reading skills SOARED. At the beginning of the year my school was ranked 14th in the district based on reading scores. By the end of the year we ranked number 3. This was our first year of using Reading Mastery. (My school is a 3-5 intermediate school).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I agree that you need training. I am going to be my grade level's Reading Mastery Coach next year so I can try and answer any questions you have.