Reading logs - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by matchstickgirl, Jul 19, 2008.

1. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I have been considering doing a weekly reading log for my next year teaching, but am really unsure if I should or not. I attempted to do one last year, but found that only half of my students brought it back. I was considering having it due only on Friday, so that I wouldn't have to check it everyday and give them the flexibilty to break up their needed weekly 100 minutes however they choose. I just am not sure if these are even effective though.

Any thoughts or opinions on what y'all think about them?

Are they helpful and worth it? Or are they just a waste of time?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

I only do a reading log for the books they read in class. I find this is good for me, as I can see what they have read.

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I did weekly reading logs last year. I found it somewhat successful. I feel like you're always going to have a few kids who won't do it (unless you're grading it, I guess). But I made it purely incentive based. I used Pizza Hut's Book it program and each month I would set a class goal of so many minutes. Students who read, turned in their reading logs, and met the class goal got a coupon for a free personal pizza! The kids really liked it and it was pretty easy for me! I just totaled up their reading minutes once a month and hand out the coupons.

5. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 19, 2008

My students used a reading log for their homework which was to read at least 25 minutes at home each night. Parents had to sign the log after writing three-four sentences about what they read. I would randomly call on students to share with me what they read while I checked their logs each day.
    They also had an independent reading log which was used in class for the books they were reading. In my classroom they read for about 25 minutes each day. While they read I conferenced with them about their reading or pulled a small group to work on a skill.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

I use a reading log, my plan last year was to tie it into Book It! but I didn't follow through. That's my goal for this year though. All they had to do for the log was write down the name of the book, who many minutes they read & if they liked it or not.

We also did a Reading Response Journal 2 nights a week. They had to do their reading & then respond to a prompt that changed monthly. Once again getting kids to bring their journals back was tough.

7. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I'm doing Reading Logs this year. I'm tying to my Hawaiian theme. We're reading our way to Hawaii. When we get there-It's Luau time..:cool:

8. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I started a reading log for homework in January. I made it part of their homework. With the exception of 1 or 2 students they all turned them in. I tried to have them do an in-class reading log also but that didn't go over so well. Some of the students would forget to fill them out, lose them etc.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

I make my reading logs due every Wednesday, and I've found that helps. They are only worth 10 points, so if they don't do them, it won't totally kill their grade, but it will put a small dent in it.

10. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

yes yes yes....and at the 5th grade level they should be responding to their reading. Another teacher and I came up with a reading/response log (for 2nd and 3rd grade students) where students had to read 20 (or 30) minutes 3 nights a week (so if they had church or sports related practice they had a day off from homework) and they had to respond to their reading. This really, really helped their higher level thinking and comprehension. We made a booklet and it was due on Friday. It really wasn't too hard for them to keep up with at the 2nd and 3rd grade level so I would think that 5th grade could definitely do it. Good Luck!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

I think reading logs are great. Mine last year was purely incentive based and those who did it got the reward and those who didn't, well they didn't get the reward. I did mine monthly and it was only what they read out of school.

For those of you who do it weekly, how do you like it? Do you count it as a homework grade?

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

Our administration required reading logs last year. On the one hand, our students did not seem to be able to summarize what they had read so it was good practice. On the other hand, the students hated it - with a passion - even the avid readers! It was a battle every week!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

My kids wrote a weekly letter to me in friendly letter format. This was a 2nd grade class of identified gifted kids. They included all the pertinent info, title, author, plot, summary, connections they made (self-to-text, text-to-text,or text to world) and then I wrote them a letter back. This was my first year to do it, and I thought at the beginning, "I hate to start something and not do it all year." But, after we got going it was awesome. The kids really got into it.

If you're doing logs, be sure and start one for yourself to share w/your kiddos.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2008

If they had read more than one book that week, did they just pick one book to tell you about? This sounds like a great idea!

15. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

My students used Reading Logs for every AR book they read. This way I can work individually on summarizing, punctuation, capitalization.

They were not allowed to take an AR test without their log or their book. Their book had to be with them in case of misspellings AND I am guaranteed it will be returned.