Reading Log

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LAH2, Aug 21, 2007.

1. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone do any type of Reading Log with their students so they can keep track of their reading at home? If so, how long are they required to read and what do you have them do for their Reading Log? I am thinking about changing some things this year so I just wanted to get some ideas. Thanks!

3. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I use the ones in the Evan-Moor "How to Report on Books" blackline masters. The link is:

http://www.evan-moor.com/catalog/book.asp?CID=7&SID=200&BID=948

They're really simple ( I use the ones for grades 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 - I teach different levels of Spec. Ed.). The students have to fill them out and I check them every Monday. Then I stamp and initial the sheets and send them home for the next week. I send an explanation letter home at the beginning of the year with the first reading log.

This is one way to ensure that the kids are reading (hopefully, most times... :unsure: ) on a daily basis.

4. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

Oh, I forgot - if you're looking for the logs, they're at the back of the books.

5. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I require my kids to read at least 80 minutes per week. The kids need to log the minutes read and book read, and mom or dad signs it to return.

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I've done home reading log about 4 different ways and never felt it was really great. I've finally went back to what most teachers do. They have a monthly reading calendar. Kids mark their minutes each night they read and at end of month mom or dad signs the calendar. I tried having them list books and write 1 question or 1 connection they had to the story. In 1st and 2nd they really ended up hating doing this after a few months and parents complained it took too long. Sometimes I had tried having a slip of paper in each book bag for parents to sign. This just ended up giving me slugs of paper to deal with. Calendar seems to be what most teachers do and it's easy for parents too, so I'd go with it.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

I too have reading logs for my kids (grade 2)...As part of their nightly HW they have to read for 15-20 minutes (I can only assign 30 minutes of HW including reading as part of school policy, that's why so short a reading HW...)...then they are required to fill in their reading log: (the following are the headings on the log grid)

date / book read / read alone or with partner (who?)/ Parent signature

I check the logs when I check Hw. I do reading workshop in school so I am actively conferring with kids about their reading everyday. When I look at their logs I know if they are reading at their level and I can discuss those books or their workshop books with them during conferences. I also use reading response journals in class but not as part of HW.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

I'm starting a "Read for 500 Minutes Challenge" with my students this year to encourage them to red more consistently at home.