Reading Levels

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by luv2garden, Dec 9, 2008.

1. luv2garden

luv2garden Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

Hi Friends,

I was just wondering what reading level your kinders need to be at by the end of the year? What about the end of first grade? We use the DRA in Florida, but it seems like our kids are pushed so hard so fast. I was just wondering if states that in the higher rankings are pushing their kids on in the same manner...

3. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

In Texas we are suppose to have the kids on a 4 for DRA, however, they expect them to lose a level over the summer and be at a 3. What does your school expect your guys to be at???

4. Mommateach

Mommateach Rookie

Dec 12, 2008

At my son's former school they expected the kindergartners to be at a level 5 by the end of the year.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 12, 2008

We go by guided reading levels. They are supposed to exit K at a C, but enter 1st at about an E. They are expected to jump 2 levels over summer. If they enter 1st at a C they need intervention. :(

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2008

Our first graders are expected to be at a 3 when they enter first. In November they must be at a 6 and by the end of the year the expectation is 18.

7. rapidmarie

rapidmarie New Member

Dec 14, 2008

At the end of kinder they are supposed to be at a DRA level 2.

8. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

Hi - I am in a small private school and am not familiar with "DRA". Could someone tell me what your children are capable of reading by the end of the year? (Short vowels, long vowels, blends, comprehension, etc.)

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 15, 2008

In our district they want the Kinders reading at a fluency rate of 40 wpm by the end of Kinder and 60 wpm by the end of 1st Grade. Yeah, I know :eek:hmy:.... Personally, I think it's a lot harder to take them from zero to 40, than when they already have strategies to improve them from 40-60 but they didn't ask me my opinion, go figure!

To answer your question Preppie - we introduce all vowel sounds and blends and usually begin the digraphs. They can usually read the sentences, but comprehension is a different story.

10. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Dec 16, 2008

Kindercowgirl.... do they introduce long vowels?