Reading Inventory

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ellie25, Jul 28, 2003.

1. ellie25

ellie25 Rookie

Jul 28, 2003

Does anybody have any ideas on using reading inventories/running records for upper grades (4th-5th). I have seen some books on them- would it benefit me to get some or should I make up my own (and if so- how?!).
    Any feedback/ideas would be great!
    Thanks! -ellie

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 28, 2003

I think they are very time-consuming. We HAVE to do them, or I wouldn't bother. They take about 30 minutes per child and each child must be don individually three times a year. I just don't have time for that- smal group instruction usually suffers because I am always doing running records.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2003

I don't find them awfully time consuming- We have chosen books at various levels (about 3 per letter level) and have typed text from the books into a computer program. We have a print out of the text for running record and the kids read the selected text into the computer. The reading takes less than 2 minutes per child. Since I'm conferring independently with the kids all the time anyway the 2 minutes is more than enough to get a snapshot of where they are as readers. It's great because you can hear the progress a child makes over the course of a year and it's good for parents to hear at conference time!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2003

czacza - how do you record the assessments? What do you identify word recognition, pronunciation, phonics, vocabulary? Do you keep a record of the incorrect words read? Do you assess reading of isolated words and context words (book sections)?