Reading intervention starting midyear?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missrebecca, Jan 9, 2014.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jan 9, 2014

I just took on a 4th grade class midyear, and the students unfortunately spent most of the past semester with different substitute teachers. They haven't had consistent instruction, and their reading scores are pretty low, judging from their benchmark test results (over half are approaches/falls far below on the FAME scale)... What kind of reading activities would you recommend to help out those who have fallen behind?

I don't want to necessarily assign extra homework/classwork... but maybe differentiate somehow? Would leveled reading groups be a good idea? Or find a time when the other students can do independent work, to give supplemental small group instruction to those who need it?

One of my students is also extremely far behind in writing (I'm wondering if he would qualify for SPED), and I'm uncertain how to approach that a well.

It's my first year, so I am open to any and all advice!! :)

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2014

I think your instincts are correct on this one. :)

I really think small group instruction/centers is going to be KEY here. My mom teaches 4th grade intervention - her students are all reading PreK-2nd grade level at the beginning of the year - and she uses small group instruction for practically everything. She gets great results from it. I am in 1st so my perspective is different, but I have really seen amazing improvements in my kids because I am meeting with them in that small, differentiated setting.

Have you read Daily 5? I know it's often talked about in primary, but the sisters (who wrote the book), talk about using it in upper elementary as well. It can DEFINITELY be adapted for older students. It gives the kids who are not meeting with the teacher the opportunity to be involved in authentic literacy activities. I have seen it work wonders in my first grade class this year.

I definitely also think pulling small groups of strugglers while the others do independent work can work well (though that doesn't work too well in first, lol), but if you're doing that exclusively I would argue that you have your high kids to think about too. If you meet with leveled reading groups, not only are you providing support for the struggling kiddos, but you are challenging your high flyers as well. I do meet with my lowest group much more frequently than the highest group -but that is because they can do more independently and need less teacher time.

Hope that helps a bit at least. :)

4. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jan 9, 2014

Thank you!! That is very helpful. I did Daily 5 in my student teaching (1st grade too!), but was worried it might be too much to take on with the midyear craziness. I'll definitely look into it and see it if it would work. I also have a weird situation with only 13 students at the moment (a new class was made for those who registered late), and am not sure if that would make Daily 5 better/worse.

I have a lot of leveled reading books, so that's a plus! Honestly though, I have zero experience with that type of activity and will have to look into it. But I'm glad you think it's a good idea! :)

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2014

Since you're familiar with Daily 5, I would definitely incorporate the Literacy CAFE! When I was a classroom teacher of 3rd graders, I used the CAFE to introduce reading strategies and so students can keep track of their own, individual reading goals. It worked wonders and I saw results, kids moved! I'm a reading intervention teacher now working with 1st-6th grades and let me say, I use the CAFE for all of my small groups. They use it, refer to it and it helps to differentiate! Good luck.