Reading Intervention Read180

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LouiseB, Mar 29, 2012.

1. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Mar 29, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with Read180? Our school is looking for a program for middle school/high school. Thanks for any information!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

We looked into it, although we are an elementary. I actually thought it looked really cool- it was set up like a readers workshop and just looked so much better and more interesting than most scripted programs I've seen. I would love to be able to do an entire workshop with my kids! However, from what we could tell research did not support students making big gains with it unless they were in the program for 90 minutes a day outside of class. So, if your district is willing to put in that kind of time and allow students to miss that much gen ed time, it might work. In my district, we're just not allowed to pull kids out of gen ed for that block of time, especially considering that's before we talk about math interventions, and I know many of my students need both. For students in my program they don't want me putting them in anything lower than the "at least 80% gen ed" bracket." Figuring out the hours for this program, with this alone my students would be right at the 80% mark before any other interventions for other subjects. We have a long school day (7.5 hours with students), so I suspect that would put most other schools over into the 60-80% bracket.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

We use this with our students in a self-contained reading program. Our middle school kids do enjoy it, but it is a big time commitment. The company did work with us to create a 45 minute program, but they did say this was not what was researched.

5. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Mar 30, 2012

6. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 31, 2012

I used it last year for middle school resource students. It is very expensive to purchase the licenses for each student to access the computer portion. The R-Books are also expensive, and we were told we had to copy them. However, when the people from Scholastic came to observe the program, they told me I was not allowed to copy the workbook. You have to be highly organized, and totally follow the 90 minute schedule that they have in place. The kids really liked it, and the time went fast, because they are in each section for 20 minutes. The makeup of the class makes a huge difference too. The one group I taught had a big problem with the silent reading portion of the program. They wanted to chat instead of read. However, the other groups had no problem at all. Also, in my opinion, this program is for kids who can already read somewhat. There is a resource called System 44 that they claim helps kids with phonics/phonemic awareness, etc, but I did not like that portion of the program at all. GOOD LUCK!