Reading Instruction Woes

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sunni11, Mar 28, 2011.

1. sunni11

sunni11 Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

This is similar to one of my old posts, but in my generalist special ed program, I had only two literacy courses, with only one being a methods course. I feel so ill-prepared to address the literacy needs of students with special needs!!! I am not sure what population I will be working with next year, so I can't ask for specific advice at this point, and I understand that as I go along, my skills will improve and I will continue to learn and grow. But, for now, I feel like there is so much more for me to know in order for me to best meet the needs of my students!

3. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Mar 29, 2011

Join the club!

Seriously, I haven't met any teachers who went into their first year teaching position feeling totally prepared. The reality is that the curriculum will be the least of your worries, as you deal with all the other issues they don't fully prepare you for in college: classroom management, school procedures, facilitating IEP meetings.

Your best resource by far will be your new colleagues. If your school assigns you a mentor, he/she will be an excellent resource.

Most of all, though, have fun! It will not be smooth sailing and you won't find time for everything you want to fit in, but it will be a lot better than you think.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2011

If you are looking for a few things to brush up on reading skills, I would suggest The CAFE book, Mosiac of Thought, and Strategies that Work. These three books have been lifesavers for me and would work at any level.

5. ryecal

ryecal Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

I just read "Readicide" and "The Book Whisperer" both gave very good advice into how to implement successful reading strategies into classroom. REadicide focuses on how we have killed reading levels in public schools by forcing reading! Good stuff!