Reading Incentive Program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dbelmo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I will like to implement a Reading Program where every book read is equal to a set number of miles and the class will reach a destination. I have two classes so they will be in a "book" race to get to the destinations. I would like to have 2 destinations, maybe one in the US and an international one.

What I need is ideas, what works, what does not work, expereinces, etc. of any programs similar to this. Please :help: me with this I want to introduce this the first day of school.

dbelmo

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

Will a short picture book count the same as a huge chapter book, like Harry Potter? If it does, you'll be encouraging your readers to choose shorter books instead of what you intend -- which is to increase their independent reading.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

I agree with Rainstorm...you need to have some expectations put in place from the very beginning, such as are all books worth the same amount (such as picture books or chapter books)? Are you going to base it on the number of pages in a book? Can a child read the same book multiple times?

Also, my students like to have some sort of reward attached to the monthly logs I do. It helps keep them motivated to continue each month:)

5. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Since I am 6th grade, they will have to read chapter books. ALL books will have to be approved prior to reading, we will have POWER time everyday (Put Off Work Enjoy Reading).

dbelmo

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

Well thats good that you know they will be chapter books. I would have a recommended author list of some sort to help you so the kids are guided towards the right books before they bring them to you.

Will the books read during POWER time count towards the miles? I want my kids to do reading at home, so the books they read in school don't count for them.

7. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

what if they are reading at a lower level even 3rd to 4th grade? Will smaller chapter books or picture books then?

8. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

last year I counted minutes read rather than books read. I did this for in class and at home reading. they logged every 15 min. every hour earned a sticker on the chart. Of course I had lessons on picking just right books. This was great becasue my struggling readers did just as well, some better, than my high readers bc they were motivated to win a prize once they had so many stickers.

9. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I have many books available for lower levels, I would also like them to read at home (in the past I have had many parents encourage fudgeing of the time spent reading) but I will have to settle for them reading at school.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

We use the number of pages students read and require an AR test for each book. Calendars that document minutes/pages read with parent signature are submitted at the end of each month.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2008

This is a FABULOUS idea! I would love to try something like that, considering I have a travel theme in my classroom. :) I would say for pages read, it equates a certain number of miles across the United States map, and for my students, they'll have to get through every state to eventually arrive in Alaska or Hawaii. Now they'd have to get on the boat, also... :woot: