Reading Incentive Program

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Mable, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2005

I am looking for a new idea or twist on an old idea for a reading incentive program to use with my kindies. I want to go beyond the home reading log/journal. Any ideas? What have you used? I've also used a paper that student colors in object for every 15 minutes of reading done with parent-monthly. I want it to be bigger, better.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

My grandmother used to be a librarian in a public school grades four to six. She used to do reading around the world or something like that.
    Anyway To move from country to country you had to read so many pages. Every time you read that certain number you got to put your name in the raffle box. It was a school wide program. At the end of the year or how ever long she did it, they would have the raffle drawings. She made it so that parents could read to children or children could read the books to themselves. After they had to fill out a reading log to say what the book was about. For those that the parents read the book she would have the students tell her what it was about.
    I remember loving the program. That is when I really got hooked on reading.
    I couldn't read in fourth grade or well I was probably reading at a first or second grade level. The summer between fourth and fifth grade I really started reading. I wanted to be one of the first to make it around the world the next yr. By seventh grade I was reading at an eleventh grade level (My writing skills stink though. I never did learn how to write. When everyone else was learning that skill I was still working on reading).

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 21, 2005

I like "Reading Around the World" idea. Social Studies and Reading. I would change it a bit, when they color in a country, they get to pass the candy jar around and everyone gets a piece of candy. They must say Thank you and praise the student for reading so many pages. This really makes everyone want to reach the goal and everyone is pulling for each other.
    *****Another fun activity is a banana split party. We do this for multiplication facts, but it could be adapted to reading, if it isn't used for math. Mad Minutes ---We start them at the beginning of the third grade. Addition, next subtraction and when we start multiplication we don't give any more add and sub Mad Minutes. Students must get 20 correct in one minute. This makes students stop counting on their fingers, using point math and number lines. If they get 20 correct they get a piece of candy from the candy jar. (a small piece of individual wrapped candy) They like those fruit square things You get a package of them and put in
    a pretty jar with a lid. Can't think of the name of them. We use
    flashcard drills. Sort out the 0s and they must get them all correct in 40 seconds. And they get a piece of candy. Than we do the 1s in 40 seconds and earn a piece of candy. Oh, yes they are easy, but they had success and you have their attention and you are building self esteem. After we go thru all the flashcards including 10s. We go to the Mad Minutes. Get gumball machine and gumballs at the Dollar Store cheap. If they improve by 3 they get another gumball We do a five minute timing on one hundred facts at the beginning of the year and at the end of each grading period. These are test and stay in their personal file folders in the teachers file cabinet. Now when we start multiplication facts. We do the flashcard thing except this time we work of a banana split party. 0s=napkin, 1s=spoon, 2s=dish, 3s=banana 4s= ice cream 5s=toppings chocolate, strawberry and butterscotch, 6s= crushed Oreo
    cookies 7s=whipped topping 8s= sprinkles 9s=a cherry on top. 10s
    = nuts.... Get at Dollar Store also cheap. They earn a certificate at the end of year assembly with the number of facts they mastered in one minute in each addition, multiplication and subtraction.

5. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

My last year of teaching K I used a new program and the kids really liked it. I got it from kinderkorner.com so I can't take all the credit! I had 4 baskets in my room labeled A-D and each basket had 2 different reading levels in it with a variety of books. The kids got to choose from "their basket" any book they wanted, take home and read and bring back a day or 2 later. Each time they brought a book back they got a sticker on their sticker chart. When their sticker chart was full they got a free book. I used my scholastic points to get books for the reading program specifically. They liked it, parents liked that they got a free book and it was fairly simple to keep up with.
    Good luck!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

Student taught 2nd grade... both classes had a similar system

Weekly reading logs returned on Monday morning... all students were "expected" to do 20 minutes a night, either alone or with someone... and it was simply a slip of paper with each day, and parents filled in # of minutes and initaled it...

Monday morning, as they turned them in, teachers tallied the total # of minutes. Students that brought in over, say, 250 minutes got a "super reading" certificate... but the real treat was filling the apple tree... she had a poster sized apple tree hanging on the wall, and small apple pictures were placed on the tree for ever collective 1000 minutes... when the tree was filled, they had a "read-in"... kids could bring in their pillows, stuffed animals, etc, and both classes got an extended time to read together... and they could read with friends instead of independently.

This worked REALLY well. ;)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

www.fitnessfinders.net

This is what I use. Every time they finish a book they can pick a book charm to add to a keyring or to keychain attached to a bookmark. I get the supplies from the above source. (It was started for pe and then they added reading charms.) Everybody loves the charms.

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2005

Your replies have really got my brain moving! Thank you! Let's keep the ideas flowing! I am getting excited about deciding on a program now!