reading in small groups

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by jaszmyn, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Nov 10, 2010

Hello all,

I have previously taught 1st grade and enjoyed guided reading so much with my students, but this year I am teaching fifth grade and its not going as well. I have tried to set up the readers workshop and conduct small groups while doing guided reading, but the problem is that these fifth graders are EXTREMELY chatty. Whatever station they are supposed to be at, whether its reponding to reading, indpendent reading, word work or whatever, they are just talking, laughing and playing. I am constantly stopping my guided reading group to redirect.

I have reworkied the groups and the whole plans two-three time this year already! I am just ready to nix the whole thing. My question is. Is it neccessary to have small guided reading groups in 5th grade? I was thinking after the minilessons, just have interesting, engaging breakout activities that they work on, independently or with a partner. What do you think?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2010

I think that you do what works for your students. With my sixth graders, I don't teach through guided reading. I do pull small groups for a variety of lessons, but the groups change every single time we meet (well almost). The other students are either working independently or with a partner in my room. They may work on word work, reading independently, etc, but only in groups of two.

4. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Nov 11, 2010

I have guided reading groups and I think my students definately bennefit from it, especially my lower kids. I started the Daily 5 with my kids this year, but also throw in other required things they must do during the rotations sometimes. It took a while to get to where we are, we started out slow. We started just doing read to self and building our stamina, then I introduced read to someone and we just did those 2 for a while. I then introduced word work and listen to reading over time. I would say start out slow and make sure they master your expectations for one center before you move on. I wouldn't do groups until you know they can work independantly.

I do think they need guided reading in 5th grade. Oh, and I also review with the kids my expectations before they go to their rotation every day. If they do not do it correctly, we do it again until they get it right.

5. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2010

I just started reading workshop with my fifth graders using Laura Candler's "Empowering Readers" workshop style. You can check out her website to see if this would work for you. I also have a very chatty group, but during our first two days of reading workshop it was absolute silence for 25 min while my students were doing independent reading. Her approach isn't center-based, which is mostly busy work anyway, but much more time spent on a read aloud, a min-lesson, and independent reading (the teacher can do small groups, individual conferences, etc., during this time). I think it's going to work out great!

6. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

Thanks for the feedback. I need to find something. I have been trying a couple different things, different combinations of activities but nothing seems to be working. I will check out that book "empowering readers". maybe for now I will just do some group work. the independent work is just not working. I taught independent work strategies for 2-3 weeks, like it is laid out in the Daily 5. It worked for about a week, and then I noticed that students were just gazing in space, laughing, & talking (about inappropriate things) during this time. I dont want to feel like I should have to constantly be watching over them for the task to get done. The workshop activities are just not keeping them engaged enough I guess. I feel the need to monitor.