Reading in Groups at the High School Level

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ATwainedTeacher, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

My students appear to be staying on task very well with group activities so far this year, and I've experimented quite a bit letting them read through the text in groups or pairs with different forms of guides that have students stop and discuss at certain points in the text. I come around to monitor and include myself in the discussion when they need a little more guidance.

Students are now requesting to do their reading in this way with more regularity. I would love to allow students to do this with almost every text that we read, as it appears that they are more engaged with the text than ever before, but I worry about letting go of my guidance so much. I still discuss the text before, during, and after the reading (to clarify and bring up larger issues), but at my previous school, the teachers went through every line of the text along with students in some form of popcorn reading/lecture hybrid. Even novels. :dizzy: I think this is great for more difficult material (for example, Shakespeare), but the students become disengaged so quickly. Still, some teachers swear by it.

At my current school, they are trying to move towards more independent student reading, though assigning it for homework is still a lost cause. They just won't do it. I feel like this is a good bridge, but I worry that I may be doing some disservice to my students by not being up actively teaching so much. Being a facilitator seems like too easy of a job. Or at least easy on my vocal chords. :lol:

Does anyone do their in-class reading in this way? And what's some other in-class reading strategies that you have used that were effective and gave students some variety?

3. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

I do a combination of this and literature circles. With the literature circles, it does require them to read outside the class, but because I give them very specific task sheets for each role, they are held accountable.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 6, 2013

I wish I could have the students read independently in group. It would work in some classes, most of the time, in one class, no way, and some class could depend on the day, but I feel that overall it could quickly fall apart and they'd be talking and couldn't get them back to work.

I play the audio cd for them and require them to follow with their eyes. This works well, easy to monitor, and it's great for the varied levels of reading abilities. Based on their tests, discussions and work, they do pay attention, not just staring at the text :)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 6, 2013

Check out this book. It has a lot of strategies (it provides texts for each strategy, but you could use your own text).

I started using the strategies outlined. Only a few times have I had to intervene with student groups, and it has only been to make sure they are using textual evidence (they were still talking about the book, but were so engaged with their ideas they got away from evidence that backed their discussion).

I'm impressed with my students' abilities to collaborate on reading this year.

Here is the book: http://www.amazon.com/Texts-Lessons...qid=1378521399&sr=8-1&keywords=smokey+daniels

6. shedley

shedley Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

Sometimes for my reading groups I will read outloud for a page or two while they follow along, then have another student or two read a paragraph and then have them reread what we read in partners before finishing the reading and reading questions individually. I try to switch it up every couple days so they still stay engaged. Another strategy is to have them read a portion of a novel or sonnet and then have them watch a youtube clip or movie from that some portion. Have them write a paragraph on the difference in reading and hearing it. Reader's theater is also a fun way to get students interested in reading plays or novels