Reading....how to manage time in gr.7

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by daveng, Jul 7, 2015.

1. daveng

daveng Rookie

Jul 7, 2015

I will be teaching grade 7 English and want to read, of course. I have taught high school where sadly we had to read every bit in class, students reading, so it made even a short story lengthy. This school allows reading however, whenever. So if the textbook says "2 day lesson, short story" is it really a 2 day lesson if most is read at home? (Class periods are a bit shy of an hour). How long do novels take? I am thinking of teaching Island of the Blue Dolphins but want to know how much time to schedule for it. thanks.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2015

I can't help you out with the reading part -- but Island of the Blue Dolphins is a 5th grade level reading book. (We teach it in 5th grade, and the reading level is a 5.4. Amazon says it is for ages 7 - 10, and grades 2 - 5.) Wouldn't you want to work on something more on the 7th grade level, or is this a really low reading class?

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 8, 2015

I honestly would do Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Ask the SS teacher if they study Greece at all, and if they do you could work with that teacher.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 8, 2015

What a great book. I can really see the class getting wrapped-up in the story. :)

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 8, 2015

I wish I could use that book with 6th grade, but sadly, it's too high.

7. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

Just seconding, Island of the Blue Dolphins is typically taught in 4th grade in California. Unless your class is some sort of remedial reading class or special education, they probably read it in 4th grade.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 8, 2015

I loved that book in elementary school! We didn't have to read it for school, but I got it as a gift for Christmas in 3rd-4th Grade ish.
    So.. I'm guessing that'd be too easy for 7th Grade.

One book I remember reading in 7th Grade was The Golden Compass.

Also, we usually read at home for homework. We only discussed in class. So maybe read half the short story at home, discuss Day 1, read the rest at home, discuss Day 2

9. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 8, 2015

Why do you think Lightning Thief is too high for grade 6?

10. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 9, 2015

It's not that I think it would be too difficult. I just know that 7th grade is when you discuss Greek Mythology. I would want to use this book to go hand in hand with Greek Mythology. Then do a Compare and Contrast with the real Greek Mythology and the Percy Jackson one.

11. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 10, 2015

Island of the Blue Dolphins would be too easy for 7th graders unless you're teaching low-level readers. I remember reading it in fifth grade and loving it, but I wouldn't teach it to 7th graders. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is a good suggestion. Another book I loved as a 7th-grader was the Giver.

As for the lesson length, my understanding is if it's described as a "2-day lesson," then the material (discussions, activities, etc.) will be covered in two days with the students reading the text for homework.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2015

The original poster hasn't been back. Too bad -- because their is some great advice.