reading groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2nd grade teach, Dec 29, 2006.

1. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

I am a first year teacher. I have five reading groups and parent volunteers that come in and help the groups. I have very high readers in my class, and so I want the students to focus on comprehension. The parent volunteers do not take the time to really slow down and let the students discuss the ideas. Do you have any ideas or resources that I could use, or worksheets that I could have the students fill out that would make them slow down and think with their reading group?

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Dec 30, 2006

Maybe you could write out Comprehension like questions (what is the main idea, what would happen if...) and have it near the parents so they can reference it while they work with the groups.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2006

I agree with Musicalgator. You have to provide the parents with more direction. Give them questions to ask - mark off in the parent book where they have to stop and ask questions/discuss what has occurred so far. Have them fill out a graphic organizer as they go through the books. Have them stop and write down questions they may have/have answered as they are reading...

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 30, 2006

I have a form I give to volunteers to use when reading with groups or meeting for a conference myself. I'll post it on my blog (below).

6. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Dec 30, 2006

That's excellent! Thanks for your help!